/ / Loggia dei Mercanti: photos, description (Loggia dei Mercanti)

Loggia dei Mercanti: photos, description (Loggia dei Mercanti)

Loggia dei Mercanti (Merchants ' Gallery) is a luxury historical Palace in the heart of Ancona, capital of Italian Marche region.

The construction of the Palace began in 1442, the year by architect Giovanni Pace, also known as Sodo, in the period of economic prosperity. The building was near the port which was the center of Commerce in the commercial Republic in the Middle ages. This is a place where all the important meetings of merchants and traders. In 1558-1561 the years the Palace after a major fire (caused by fireworks during the carnival) was restored - the works were supervised by Pellegrino Tibaldi, who himself painted the frescoes of the Central hall of the Loggia. Also serious damage to the building sustained during air raids on the city during the Second World war and was restored only at the end of the 20th century. Today, there are only important conferences and conventions.

The current facade of the Loggia dei Mercanti in the Venetian Gothic style was designed by the master of the Dalmatian Giorgio Yes, Sebenico who worked on them at 1451 1459-y. The facade with four columns divided into three vertical sections. Each column is capped with pinnacles decorative topped with statues of Hope, Courage, Justice and Mercy. Two side sections are also decorated with large Lancet Windows with stained glass. Visible at the top about double Lancet Windows, and in the center is the statue of horse rider with the coat of arms of Ancona.