/ / Loggia del Bigallo: photos, description (Loggia del Bigallo)

Loggia del Bigallo: photos, description (Loggia del Bigallo)

Loggia del Bigallo is a late Gothic building in Florence, located on the corner of Piazza San Giovanni and via Calzaioli.

They say that this place is next to the famous Baptistery of Florence, was given a kind of benefactor. The building itself is one of dozens of urban loggias and connected with the history of two city charities. One of them - the Compagnia della Misericordia is engaged in the transportation of the sick and burial of the poor, and cared for orphans. Open Loggia del Bigallo was home to abandoned and unwanted children, the care of which took over the society. The second society, the Compagnia di Santa Maria del Bigallo, also known simply as del Bigallo, was founded in 1244, the year the saints Peter of Verona and for some time was located near the Church of Orsanmichele. This society is mainly engaged in the accommodation of the poor and disadvantaged, but also took care of pilgrims and travellers, which it could shelter in their OSPEDALE di Santa Maria alle Fonti, known as Del Bigallo, in the area of Fontevivo.

Financial troubles forced the leadership of the city in 1425, the year to combine both companies - it was done on the orders of Cosimo de ' Medici I, the Treasurer of the Bigallo. He was then reorganized the structure of the new enterprises, and the functions of del Bigallo prevailed on tasks Misericordia. However, it was the Compagnia della Misericordia commissioned the construction of the loggia we see today - probably worked on the project, the architect and sculptor Alberto Arnoldi, and the construction started in 1352 to 1358 th years. The second floor of the building was rebuilt after a fire in 1442, the year. Dwukrotnie the stairs of the loggia is richly decorated with bas-reliefs with images of prophets, angels, the virtues, a Christ giving the benediction, and "EcceHomo" - the words spoken by Pontius Pilate on Christ. In 1697, the year of the arch of the Loggia del Bigallo has been walled to provide more space for the oratory attached to the building. This stonework was removed only in 1889-the year to discover hidden scenery.

Arched Windows draw the eye to the top floor, which was once richly decorated with frescoes. Here you can see three of the tabernacle work of Filippo di Cristofano 1412, the year with images of the Madonna and child, St. Lucy and St. Peter of Verona, patron of the society. The statue of the mid-14th century was established after the merger of the two societies in 1425, the year.

Inside the Loggia are stored exhibits relating to the activities of the Compania del Bigallo.