/ / Lodi: photo description (Lodi)

Lodi: photo description (Lodi)

Lodi is a small town in the Italian region Lombardy, located on the right Bank of the Adda river, the administrative center of the homonymous province.

Lodi was founded in ancient times by Celtic tribes, and in the era of the Roman Empire was called the Laus Pompeia (perhaps in honor of the Consul Pompeius Strabo) and was an important settlement, as it was at the intersection of a busy road and a river. In the 3rd century, the town became a bishopric and its first Bishop, San Bassiano, today is the patron Saint of Lodi. Around the 10th century the independent commune of Lodi firmly repulsed the attack of the Milanese troops, but a century later the city was destroyed by the same Milanese. Only in the 1158th year on the orders of Frederick Barbarossa Lodi was rebuilt, and the old town is preserved within the area of Lodi Vecchio.

Since the 13th century, residents began to engage in the creation of a network of hydraulic structures - hundreds of miles of artificial canals and rivers, known as Consorzio di Muzza was used to supply water to rural areas, which contributed to turning some arid areas into highly fertile farmland.

In the 14th century Lodi was part of the possessions of the family of Visconti, by whose order the city was built the castle. But in 1454, the year I met representatives of all the independent principalities and Duchies of the Apennine Peninsula and signed the Treaty known as the peace Treaty of Lodi, about the unification of Italy. However, the Treaty lasted only 40 years.

After Visconti in Lodi was ruled by the Sforza, then the French, the Spaniards, the Austrians, and in 1786, the year the city became the capital of the eponymous province. It was here in may 1796, the year the young Napoleon Bonaparte, recently became a General, defeated the Austrians and began his military career.

In Lodi, it saves a lot of monuments of history and architecture, which to this day attract tourists. Piazza della Vittoria, on all sides, framed by porticos, is one of the most beautiful squares in Italy. Here is located the Basilica of the virgin of the Assunta and the town Hall Broletto. While Piazza Broletto remarkable baptismal font of the 14th century, made of Verona marble. Interesting Church Lodi Beata Vergine of Incoronata, San Francesco, San Lorenzo, with frescoes by Callisto Piazza, Santa Maria Maddalena, the best example of Baroque architecture in the city of Sant Agnese in the style of the Lombard Gothic, San Filippo Neri, in Rococo style, San Cristoforo. Preserved secular buildings of the medieval Palazzo Vescovile, rebuilt in the 18th century, partially ruined castle and Palazzo Torrioni Mozzanica 15th century.