/ / Lonato del Garda: photo description (Lonato del Garda)

Lonato del Garda: photo description (Lonato del Garda)

Lonato del Garda is located halfway between Milan and Venice in the South-Western shore of lake Garda. Until 2007 it was called just Lonato. Due to its picturesque scenery, numerous historical and artistic monuments, Roman ruins, medieval castle, Baroque churches and modern museums, the city became a popular holiday destination among residents of Northern Italy.

The first settlements discovered on the territory of modern Lonato, belong to the bronze age - the remains of pile dwellings found in the town of polada and Lavagnone. According to some scholars, the name of the city comes from the Celtic word "Lona", meaning "little lake." In the era of Ancient Rome through Lonato passed the road the Basilica Emilia, connecting Gaul with Aquiléia. The artifacts of those times were found in the Monte Mario and in the village of Pozzo.

In 909 ad the city was completely destroyed during the invasion of the barbarians, after which its place was built a powerful castle and founded a new fortified settlement. Despite this, in later centuries, Lonato again and again destroyed and rebuilt. In 1512 it was here he placed the residence of the French king Louis XII invaded Italy. And after only a couple of years Lonato became part of the Venetian Republic, which remained until 1796, the year of the appearance of Napoleon. Well, in the mid-19th century, the city joined the unified Italy.

Today in the center of Lonato you can see the Rocca di Lonato, which is about a thousand years. Now it houses the ornithological Museum. It should also be built in the second half of the 15th century Palazzo del podestà with an extensive library containing more than 52 thousand old books. Interesting exhibit of the library is one of the smallest books in the world measuring only 15*9 mm is a letter of Galileo Galilei of some of Cristina di Lorena. On the main square in Lonato, the Piazza Martiri della libertà, is the town Hall, the Venetian column, the Baroque Cathedral of San Giovanni Battista, 19th-century and a 55-metre Clock tower. And beyond the city centre worth seeing the Roman ruins in Fornaci, Abbey, Maguzzano, Drugolo castle and the Church of the Madonna di San Martino, San Cipriano and San Zeno.