/ / Mazara del Vallo: photo description (Mazara del Vallo)

Mazara del Vallo: photo description (Mazara del Vallo)

Mazara del Vallo is a city in the South-Western part of Sicily, situated on the left Bank of the river, Mazaro. It is an agricultural and fishing center of the province of Trapani and its port is based the biggest fishing fleet in Italy.

Mazara was founded by the Phoenicians in the 9th century BC - translated in ancient tongue, the name means "Rock". For many hundreds of years it was ruled by different Nations - Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, vandals, Ostrogoths, and Byzantines, until in 827 year was not conquered by the Arabs. During the Arab domination in Sicily, the island was divided into three administrative regions, Val di Noto, Val Demon and Val di Mazara, which made the town an important commercial and educational center. Today about that period is only Mazari area known as the Kasbah.

In 1072 Sicily was conquered by Normans under the leadership of Roger I. at that time - 1093 - founded the Catholic bishopric of Mazara del Vallo. In 13-15 centuries observed the political, economic and demographic decline, and then it turned into an ordinary provincial settlement.

Today Mazara is one of the most important fishing centers of the country, despite the fact that in recent years there has been a clear crisis of this industry, associated primarily with the fact that people no longer want to work on boats.

Mazara del Vallo is also one of the Italian cities with the highest percentage of the immigrant population - there was at least 3,500 immigrants, mostly from Tunisia and other Maghreb countries. They prefer to settle around the old Arab city centre, where they founded a special school only teaching Arabic and French languages.

European fame of Mazara received in March 1998, when local fishermen lifted from the bottom of the Sicilian Strait bronze statue called Dancing Satyr. It is believed that it was made by the Greek sculptor Praxiteles, and today it can be seen in the local Museum. The statue is now one of the attractions Mazari.

Other tourist attractions of the city are the Norman Arch, the ruins of the medieval castle built in 1073 and demolished in 1880, and numerous churches. Among the latter is to provide a built in 1124 the Church of San nicolò regale is a rare example of Norman architecture, and the building of the Seminary, built in 1710 and is surrounded by the city's main square - Piazza della Repubblica. The Church of San Vito a Mare was built in honor of St. Vitus, a native Mazury and patron of the city.