/ / Male: photo description (Male)

Male: photo description (Male)

Male has always been one of the most important administrative and economic centers of Val di sole. The town is situated on the North-Eastern outskirts of moraine terraces, typical for the Central part of the valley, about 40 meters above the river Noce. Male has a very modern look, because after the terrible fire of 1895, the year was almost completely rebuilt. Today the main industries of the city are Commerce, agriculture, livestock farming, and Handicrafts. Every autumn is held here a large fair and festival of St. Matthew. Male also has only one in the whole valley industrial area, the numerous sports and cultural clubs and the voluntary fire brigade.

The Latin name of the city ("miletum" can be translated as "Apple farm") and several archaeological finds like nameplates 200 year BC, suggests that male already existed in Roman times. In 1178, the year is found the first written mention of the local Church of Santa Maria, and later the city became an important economic center since it started the "Mercato del Bosco - the Forest fair. Until the beginning of the Napoleonic era male lived by his own law, the so-called "Map di Regola". In 1848, the year is played out the battle between the Austrian troops and revolutionaries from Lombardy, who fought for the independence of Italy. Half a century later, in 1895, the year, male city received the status of commune, and in 1918, the year following the example of the Trentino region joined Italy.

In the centre of malé, stands the parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, rebuilt by craftsmen from Lombardy in the late 15th century and embellished in 1531, the year in the Renaissance style. Between 1890 and 1893 the years, the facade of the Church was redone in the style of Romanesque-Gothic and Baroque chapels were demolished. From the original Church to the present day preserved only the bell tower with arched Windows and a small sculpture of Christ. Inside Santa Maria Assunta is divided into three naves. Here you can see two beautiful wooden altar of the 17th century with paintings by Polacco and Camillo by procaccini and two marble statues 1723. The walls of the nave and the apse were painted in 1937-m to year. Near the Church stands the chapel of Santo Valentino, a loggia and the 15th century frescoes by Pino Casarini.

On the first floor of an old Austrian barracks now housed the Public Museum of solandra created by the Society for the study of the Val di sole in 1979-m to year. It is dedicated to the life of local peasants in past centuries - here you can see tools, special tools used in the daily life, crafts, clothing etc. carefully restored typical farm kitchen and bedroom.