/ / Results: photos, description (La Martorana)

Results: photos, description (La Martorana)

Martorana is one of two cathedrals of the diocese of Piana degli Albanesi (of the Italo-Albanian Catholic Church) in Palermo. The official name of the Church, located in Piazza Bellini, San Nicola del Greci, and the people she is known as Santa Maria del Ammiraglio. Next to it are the churches of San Cataldo, Santa Caterina and San Giuseppe dei Teatini.

The Martorana was built in the 12th century in the widespread at that time everywhere in Sicily's Arab-Norman style - to have survived the unique Byzantine frescoes of the era, one of the oldest on the island. Feature of the Church is that it combines the Byzantine, Greek and Islamic heritage.

The Church was originally dedicated to Bogorodica, as evidenced by its ancient name of Santa Maria del Ammiraglio. It happened, according to historical sources, in the mid-12th century. The Church adjoined the Palace of George of Antioch, who was later included in monastrysky complex results, but, unfortunately, was destroyed during the Second World war. For three centuries, Santa Maria del Ammiraglio belonged to a Greek parish. Most likely, it was in those years was built the bell tower of the Church.

In 1194 near the Church was laid by the female Benedictine monastery of Martorana on behalf of its founders, Geoffroy and Eloisa Martorana. In the first half of the 15th century Santa Maria del Ammiraglio was officially included in the composition of this monastery, so the Church had a second name. In the 17th century by the architect Andrea Palma was attached to the Northern side of the Church a Baroque facade, which now adorns the Piazza Bellini. At the same time on the ruins of the apse was erected a chapel, also in the Baroque style.

In the second half of the 19th century the monastery of Martorana, was abolished, and the Church became property of the Italian government. In 1870-1873 it carried out major restoration work, during which the Baroque elements were removed. And in 1935, Mussolini gave the Church the Albanian community of Palermo, which made it the second Cathedral of his diocese. After World war II, the Martorana received the official name of San Nicola del Greci, as the first Cathedral with the same name was destroyed during the bombing of the city and its parish was transferred to the Martorana. However, this name has not been strengthened among residents of Palermo.

Today, the Martorana is one of the most popular medieval tourist attractions and the most popular Church among the newlyweds. Its interior can be seen in the film "the Talented Mr. Ripley." And the name of the Church are artificial marzipan fruits that nuns once did on Easter, " Frutta Martorana.