/ / Lighthouse Lanterna: photos, description (Lanterna)

Lighthouse Lanterna: photos, description (Lanterna)

Lighthouse Lanterna is one of the oldest in the world - this is the main lighthouse of the port of Genoa and one of the symbols of Genoa. In addition, it is the second tallest lighthouse in the world built of bricks, - its height reaches 76 meters.

The lighthouse was erected on the hill of San Benigno, where once stood the eponymous monastery near Sampierdarena port and industrial area of Genoa. It consists of two square parts, each of which is crowned by a small ledge, and on top of the installed lamp. Once this place was the Peninsula, while its coastline has not been built up and changed. Lanterna celebrated the entrance of the old harbour of Genoa, now known as Porto Antico. Over time, the whole promontory on which stands the lighthouse, became known as Capo di Faro - the Cape Lighthouse. And from the hill of San Benigno today almost nothing left - his land was used to expand the territory of the city.

In accordance with most historical sources, the first lighthouse consisted of three crenellated towers, was built about 1128. It was far enough from town for that time, and only in the 17th century the lighthouse was geographically included in the so-called Cercia Seicentesca - the old part of Genoa. To fuel signal lights in those years used the dried Heather and juniper. The maintenance of the lighthouse paid from the tax levied on ships entering the port. For some time, Lanterna played an important role in the struggle for power on the Apennine Peninsula between the Guelphs and Ghibellines - during a battle, the Ghibellines seriously damaged the lighthouse, trying to expel entrenched inside Guelph.

In the year 1326, at the lighthouse appeared first torch, the fire which was fuelled using olive oil, so passing judgment would be better able to see its light. For the same reason, in 1340 the tower was painted with coats of arms of the city, and she began to serve as unlighted navigation mark. Around 1400 inside the lighthouse organized the prison among the prisoners was king of Cyprus James II and his wife. And a little later one of the caretakers of the lighthouse placed on its cupola a fish and a Golden cross as a symbol of Christianity. In the early 16th century Lanterna was seriously damaged during the war of Genoa with France and after the reconstruction took the form in which and came to our days.

The construction of new lighting system of the lighthouse began in 1778 to eliminate the consequences of its use for several centuries. In 1840 was established a rotating Fresnel lens, and the Grand opening of the renovated and modernized lighthouse took place in 1841. The last large reconstruction work on Lanterne was conducted in the mid-20th century after the Second World war.

Today the lighthouse is a small Museum Lantern opened in 2006. It is possible to get acquainted with the history of Genoa and its port, as well as see some unique archival documents and exhibits related to the history of marine navigation. Here exposed portion of Fresnel lens showing how the lighthouse. And at the base of the lighthouse you can see a marble plaque with the inscription "Jesus Christus rex venit in pace et Deus Homo factus est", preserved since 1603.