/ / The monastic complex of San Salvatore: photo description (San Salvatore)

The monastic complex of San Salvatore: photo description (San Salvatore)

The monastic complex of San Salvatore, also known as Santa Julia and located in Brescia, today turned into a Museum. It is known for its architectural components that include fragments of Roman buildings and a significant number of buildings in pre-Romanesque, Romanesque and Renaissance styles. In 2011, the year the complex was included in the UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO in the composition of the nomination "the Lombards in Italy. Places of power (568-774 th years BC)". In addition, this monastery is traditionally considered the place where Desiderata, wife of Charlemagne and daughter of the Lombard king Desiderius, was contained in the link after the dissolution of her marriage in 771 year.

San Salvatore was founded in 753 year by Desiderius, future king of the Lombards, and his wife Ansai as a convent. The first abbadessa was the eldest daughter of Desiderius - Inselberg. After the Lombards were defeated by the army of Charlemagne, San Salvatore maintained its privileges and even expanded ownership. In the 12th century, most of the buildings have been rebuilt or renovated in the Romanesque style, was built the chapel of Santa Maria in Solario. In the 15th century experienced another reconstruction, and then to the monastery was attached to the sleeping quarters - a dormitory. Finally, in 1599, the year was erected the Church of Santa Giulia.

After the invasion of the French in the territory of Lombardy in 1798, the year the monastery was dissolved and its premises were turned into barracks. The whole complex was in poor condition until 1882, when it placed the Museum of Christianity. However, extensive restoration work, during which San Salvatore was carefully restored, was made only in 1966, the year when it was created the Museum of Santa Giulia.

Today the monastery complex includes several buildings. The actual Basilica of San Salvatore, Dating to the 9th century, consists of a Central nave and two apses and stands on the site of an older Church, which in turn was built on the foundations of an ancient Roman building of the 1st century BC, the Bell tower, rebuilt in the 13-14-th centuries, decorated with frescoes by Romanino, and the interior itself of the Basilica is decorated with frescoes by Paolo da Cailina Jr. and other masters of the Carolingian era. The above-mentioned chapel of Santa Maria in Solario, built in the 12th century, has a square shape with a small arched loggia. The second floor is decorated with scenes from the life of Christ.

Special attention deserves the Museum, which exhibits ancient artifacts, Dating back to the bronze age and the Ancient Rome period. Among the Museum exhibits the famous bronze statue "Winged victory plan, which you can see Brescia in the time of Emperor Vespasian, the crucifixion, which, according to legend, belonged to king Desiderius, the frescoes are from Broletto (ancient town Hall of Brescia), the statue of St. Faustina and the cycle of frescoes of Moretto da Brescia. Also on site are visible some fragments of Roman buildings in which nuns used to create greenhouses and glasshouses.