/ / The monastery of the poor Clares: photos, description (Monastero delle Clarisse)

The monastery of the poor Clares: photos, description (Monastero delle Clarisse)

The monastery of the poor Clares is one of the religious attractions of the Ligurian resort town of Rapallo. Nearly a century passed after the dissolution of the monastery Valle Christi, when at Christmas 1633, the year was laid of a new building for the nuns-the poor Clares. The ceremony was attended by the Archbishop of Rapallo Joe Battista Angeletti. As stated in the silver medallion placed in the stone, the monastery was dedicated to St. Clara of Montefalco, and help in its construction had a wealthy and influential family of Rapallo. It is their funds were purchased a plot of land in the area known as "Giardino", on the outskirts of the city, down to the sea hill.

But, despite the financial assistance, the construction of the monastery lasted for almost half a century, and only in 1670, the year the Church was partially completed and the first mass in it was celebrated only in 1688, the year. However, then began the murmurs among the most Orthodox believers and clergy that the Church is built too close to the beach and "the eyes of the believers will embarrass naked body bathing of citizens". An inspection in Rapallo was forced to come to the Archbishop of Genoa, who ordered the construction of a fence. Finally, in 1691, the year the long-awaited opening of the monastery, and began the formation of the monastic community. In 1698, the year the abbess was the sister of Maria Teresa Giannini of Genoese Augustinian monastery of San Nicola, the Church grew to 40 novices and retain such number of sisters for almost two centuries. Only in 1902, the year of the last nuns left klarisky Rapallo.

After the monastery was released in 1905 year, the municipality announced a competition for the arrangement of the monastery grounds, and in 1908, the year the engineer Enrico Macchiavello started work on the transformation of the once religious centre in public space. In the former side chapels of the Cathedral was equipped classrooms for the elementary school, the Church itself was declared invalid, and its marble altar, made in 1772, the year the master Schiaffino, taken in 1919, the year in the main Basilica di Rapallo. During the First and Second world wars, the building of the monastery housed a barracks for soldiers and warehouses. Then it equipped storage for boats and various bathing facilities, which operated until 1972. Today, the recently restored monastery complex is open as a Museum and cultural center area, the site of important events in public life Rapallo.