/ / The monastery of Monte Carmelo: photo description (Convento di Monte Carmelo)

The monastery of Monte Carmelo: photo description (Convento di Monte Carmelo)

The monastery Monte Carmelo is a religious complex located on a hill on the coast of the Ligurian sea in the town of Loano. It is a national monument of Italy.

The monastery was founded in 1602 Gian Andrea Doria, and after his death passed to his son, the Andrea Doria II. In 1810, the year, during the reign of Napoleon, Monte Carmelo, like other religious institutions were abolished and re-established in 1833-the year. Following the closure of the monastery took place in 1855-66-m years - at this time the will of the rulers of Savoy. In 1874, the year the descendants of the Doria family bought the religious complex and has transferred its property to the monks of the Carmelite order.

In the centre of the monastery complex stands the Church in the form of a Latin cross with a dome and a bell tower with a belfry. Inside you can see barrel vaulted ceilings and marble altars, the main altar and side. The interior is almost devoid of scenery - there are only a few paintings of the beginning of the 17th century, a wooden sculptural composition the same period and the crucifixion of the 15th century. Next to the Church is the monastery with cloister and a spacious garden behind the building, which is grown for medicinal plants. A little away is the summer residence of the family of Doria with a defensive tower. The Church overlooks the square, which offers beautiful views of the Loano and the sea.