/ / The monastery of the Sacro Convento: photos, description (Sacro Convento di San Francesco in Assisi)

The monastery of the Sacro Convento: photos, description (Sacro Convento di San Francesco in Assisi)

The Sacro Convento - the main monastery of the Franciscan order, located in Assisi and together with the Church of San Francesco a UNESCO world Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO. Despite the fact that the residence of the head of the Franciscan order in Rome, namely the Sacro Convento is considered the spiritual center of the brotherhood.

The monastery stands on a rocky cliff between the valleys of the rivers Techa and Spoleto outside Assisi. It is here that bequeathed to bury St. Francis of Assisi. His body rests today in the lower tier of the majestic Church of San Francesco with frescoes of the Giotto.

The construction of the Sacro Convento was begun in 1228, immediately after the canonization of the founder of the Franciscan order. For this purpose were allocated land on the so-called hill of Hell - the fact that for many decades used to execute criminals. And St. Francis decided to leave here, to find eternal rest, because his Teacher - Jesus Christ - was also executed as a criminal outside the city walls of Jerusalem. Since then the hill is called Paradise. As the brotherhood of the Franciscans on the Charter could not have the property, built a monastery and Church was in the possession of the Vatican - they belong to him to this day.

Probably, the construction of the religious complex was completed in 1239. Then, besides the Church of San Francesco was part of the refectory, dormitory, and chapel for the Pope and the scriptorium with library. For the last two hundred years, competed with the Sorbonne and Avignon for the richness of its content. In the 15th century on the initiative of Pope Sixtus VI, the monastery was expanded and served as the summer residence of the Pope. Even after two hundred years, was built next to shelter for pilgrims, which allowed the monastery to take a greater number of strangers. By the way, the money for the construction of the orphanage was donated by the Spanish kings.

Today the Sacro Convento is no longer used as a monastery. Since 1971 it houses the theological Institute, which brings together students and scholars from the three branches of the Franciscan order and from the order of the poor, founded by St. Clare, a follower of Francis of Assisi.