/ / The convent of San Clemente: photo description (Monastero di San Clemente)

The convent of San Clemente: photo description (Monastero di San Clemente)

The convent of San Clemente, located in via San Vincenzo in the Tuscan city of Prato, is a religious landmark of the city. It was founded in 1505, the year a group of monks who left the monastery of San Michele, to join the Dominican order, after a strict reform of Savonarola. The walled monastery is closed to the public, but by appointment you can see the Church from the 16th century, which connected with the choir, and the cloister - a square courtyard, surrounded on four sides by a covered arched gallery - room of the abbess.

The monastery of San Clemente was built through the transformation of urban houses, transferred to the community of benefactors. Its first inhabitants in the early 16th century was the Dominican monks, separated from the Benedictine monastery of San Michele. Later, the monastery and its community have been involved in many historical events - the siege of Prato, the return of the Medici to power in Florence, the ascent of Leon X on the Papal throne. By the end of the 18th century the monastery has undergone profound changes. In the reform of 1785, the year San Clemente has been turned into a Conservatory and school for girls.

In the mid-19th century, the Italian government issued a decree abolishing religious orders, according to which the municipalities could use the former monastic buildings for public purposes. The monks of San Clemente was forced to take a part of the Church, and the rest of the building was given to the school Ada Benini," and public organization. Later, the community managed to buy part of the monastery, decorated with frescoes, but this is an expensive purchase was the cause of the economic difficulties of the order. Then a big role in the preservation of historical heritage played Ettore Lucchesi. Only in 1943, the year the monastery of San Clemente was recognized as a monument of history and architecture. But today, that part of the monastery, which is the archive for sale by the municipality.