/ / The convent of San Marco: photo, description Convent of San Marco)

The convent of San Marco: photo, description Convent of San Marco)

The convent of San Marco was founded in the early XII century. In 1437 the monastery was given to the Dominican order. Reconstruction of the whole ensemble was carried out under the supervision of the architect Michelozzo, who built cells, and Cloitre, later embellished with Florentine painter and Dominican monk fra Beato Angelico frescos on religious subjects. Here in one of the cells there lived a friar, studied theology Greek Michael Trivolis, later arrived in Moscow and famous as Maxim the Greek. In 1866 the monastery was closed and now here is the monastery Museum of San Marco.

Most of the frescoes of the cloister of St. Antonio belongs to the brush of Bernardino Poccetti, depicting scenes of life of St. Anthony. The corner panels painted by fra Angelico. In the hall of Hospicio (shelter for pilgrims) is the altarpiece by fra Angelico descent from the cross". Vaulted Hall of the Chapter decorated with frescoes by fra Angelico, "the Crucifixion" and "St. Dominick. In the small refectory, one wall there is the fresco of Ghirlandaio "the last supper". Here is the famous "Annunciation" of fra Angelico.