/ / The monastery of San Paolo: photo description (Monastero di San Paolo)

The monastery of San Paolo: photo description (Monastero di San Paolo)

Convento San Paolo is a former convent in Parma, located in via Macedonio and famous fresco masterpiece from the early 16th century, painted by Antonio Correggio. Legend has it that the monastery was founded in the place where Godescalc, son of the Lombard king Agilulf, converted to Christianity and adopted the name Paolo. He's probably financially supported the monastery after his young wife died during childbirth between 599 and 602-m. Documented also testified to the existence of the Benedictine monastery in Parma in the 11th century it was situated near the current Church of San Ludovico. By the mid-18th century at the monastery San Paolo, home to about 80 monks and novices, and during the reign of Napoleon in 1810, the year it was abolished and transferred to the commune of Parma.

Of course, the main attraction is the monastery of San Paolo is the frescoes, painted by Antonio Correggio. In 1519, the year he was invited by the abbess Giovanna Piacenza to decorate the dome of her personal dining room, now known as the Camera di San Paolo. In addition to the set of Correggio also painted the fireplace - here he depicted the goddess Diana. Today, these frescoes are considered a masterpiece of art of the Italian Renaissance. In addition to the frescoes of the Camera di San Paolo is also decorated with a private bedroom Prelate's where Alessandro Araldi depicted grotesque figure, and the chapel of Santa Caterina d Alessandria. All the rooms are open to the public and serve as a Museum.

In 2002-m to year one wing of the monastery was turned into art gallery "Pinakothek Steward". It contains more than three hundred paintings from the 14th to 20th century, including works by Bernardo Duddy, Paolo Uccello, Filippino Lippi, Parmigianino, Guido Reni and others. In addition, the gallery exhibits also archaeological artifacts.