/ / The monastery of Santa Caterina del Sasso: photo description (Eremo di Santa Caterina del Sasso)

The monastery of Santa Caterina del Sasso: photo description (Eremo di Santa Caterina del Sasso)

The monastery of Santa Caterina del Sasso, carved into the rock on the Eastern Bank of Lago Maggiore, once served as a refuge for hermits, but today is one of the tourist attractions of the lake. Despite its remote position, to get to the monastery is possible from both land and water.

The construction of Roman Catholic religious complex began in the 13 th century, but most of the work was performed at 1300 1320 years. Part of the frescoes that adorn the interior of the monastery dates back to the 19th century. The complex includes the Church dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria, and two monastic buildings. It is believed that the founder of the monastery was Reverend Alberto Besozzi out of town Arola, which, happily avoiding death in a shipwreck, made a vow to Saint Catherine and lived in a grotto near future monastery for the rest of his life. The relics of blessed Besozzi, today kept in the Church.

Say the name of the monastery del Sasso ("Rock") - was this after 1640, the year he fell of the cliff. In 1670, the year he joined the order of Carmelites, and a hundred years later, was abolished. Despite this, in 1914, the year the monastery was declared a national monument, and in 1970, the year it was purchased by the provincial government of Varese, which initiated the restoration work.

Now get to Santa Caterina del Sasso you can, down the long winding stairs or Elevator, built in 2010 year and by ferry, which docks at the local Marina.

In 1977 the monastery was filming some scenes from the film "house of Bishop" Dino Risi, and in 1989-m to year he appeared in the film "promessi Sposi" by Salvatore Nocita on the short story by Alessandro Manzoni.