/ / The monument to the Fallen: photos, description (Monumento ai Caduti)

The monument to the Fallen: photos, description (Monumento ai Caduti)

The monument to the Fallen in Ancona were created between 1927 and 1930 years by the architect Guido Cirilli, but inaugurated only in 1932-m to year, during a visit to the city by Benito Mussolini. The event was timed to the 10th anniversary of the fascist revolution.

Circular memorial, located on a high pedestal in Piazza IV Novembre in the quarter of the Passetto, dedicated to the memory of all the fallen during the First World war, in which Ancona suffered heavy losses, not only on the front line, but also in the rear - in the bombing of the city by Austro-Hungarian troops in 1915 year. The monument is built of Istrian stone and is supported by eight Doric columns. The pedestal is decorated with images of swords and hats - symbols of attack and defense. And in the center of the monument there is a small altar. Two broad stairways lead from it directly to the seashore. On the frieze you can see the cut line from the poem Giacomo Leopardi To Italy."

Today, a Monument to the Fallen is one of the most impressive attractions of Ancona, a symbol of elegance and the stone of harmony. He serves as a closing point of a long alley Viale della Vittoria. And residents consider it one of the most important symbols of the Ancona. They say that from the sea the composition, including two staircases, similar to a flying eagle.

In the small pine trees growing next to the Monument to the Fallen, there are several playgrounds for children, ski lift, descending to the beach and the funicular station.