/ / Museum of natural history and archaeology: photos, description (Museo naturalistico e archeologico di Santa Corona)

Museum of natural history and archaeology: photos, description (Museo naturalistico e archeologico di Santa Corona)

Museum of natural history and archaeology Vicenza takes two Dominican cloister that surrounds the Church of Santa Corona and facades facing the street. The cloister of the 17th century, smaller in size, is located on the North side of the Church, like old library. The latter was built between 1496 and 1502 m over the years, presumably according to the project of Rocco da Vicenza, but today is not used. The second, larger cloister was built in the second half of the 15th century and decorated with columns of local stone with Gothic capitals. The loggia and the Western façade of the cloister was designed by Francesco Muttoni. In the premises of the cloisters once housed not only the monks, but the administration of the Inquisition - she occupied the first floor of the West wing.

In 1811, the year the great cloister was used as a College town, then it was Austrian military hospital and later a school. In 1823, the year was added to the current facade with triple entrance, and in 1877, the year it became the seat of a prestigious technological Institute, founded by the industrialist Alessandro Rossi. The Institute was located here until 1962. In 1987, the year both cloisters have been restored, and a few years later they located the collection of the Museum of natural history and archaeology.

Previously in the collection of the Museum has occupied the building of the Palazzo Chiericati along with other collections of the City Museum, Vicenza. In the 19th century the Museum was donated an important collection of naturalistic, among whom was a rich herbarium containing silver minerals, fossil remains of a crocodile that once lived in the territory of Vicenza, and many other suboptimum exhibits. In 1945 year, the City Museum was bombed, and most of the materials devoted to natural history, were destroyed. From the original collection survived only two paleontological collections. Therefore, the current exhibits of the Museum is the result of recent acquisitions and donations. Today, the Museum of natural history and archaeology can be seen Malacological and osteological collection of stuffed rare birds and valuable herbarium, created by the famous naturalist-archelogos Paolo Lia in 1854-56-m years. In the entomological collection contains holotype and paratypes living in Vicenza in Northern Italy insect species.