/ / Correr Museum: photos, description (Museo Correr)

Correr Museum: photos, description (Museo Correr)

The Museo Correr in Venice bears the name of Teodoro Correr (1750-1830), a passionate art collector and member of one of the old aristocratic families of the city. Correr bequeathed to Venice not only all of his rich collection of art but also the Palace in San Dzan Degola in which it was kept, and a decent amount for further expansion of the collection. His only condition was that the collection bore his name. This art collection became the nucleus around which later formed the Foundation of the civic museums of Venice. It is interesting that in his will Correr meticulously painted, when and on what conditions the collection might be available to the public, how many people can work in the Museum and even how much money should be spent for these purposes. Despite this, the original meeting Correra was exposed only partially, and only the third curator Vincenzo Lazari, was transformed into the actual Museum. Thanks to the efforts of the same Lazari, the Museum has become not only a place for conducting scientific research in the field of art but also an exhibition gallery with priceless exhibits. By the mid-19th century, the Museo Correr had become a mandatory stop for all guests of Venice. In parallel the Museum's collection grew thanks to donations and new acquisitions. The modern Foundation of the civic museums of Venice, which grew out of the collection Carrera, consists of 11 separate museums scattered throughout the city.

In 1887, the year the Museum was moved to a building of the Fondaco dei Turchi. A couple of years later they added a significant archive of the family of Morosini, and in the years of the Second Venice Biennale was the beginning of modern art collection. In 1902, the year this collection was placed in a Baroque Palace CA’ Pesaro, bequeathed to the city by the Duchess Felicita Bevilacqua La Maza. In 1922 year, the Museo Correr was moved again - to the Piazza San Marco, where it is today, and in the Fondaco dei Turks in 1923, the year is the Museum of natural history. Then the collection of glassware was placed in the Palazzo Giustiniani in Murano.

The current building of the Museo Correr was built in the early 19th century on the site of the old Church of San Geminiano, which is in the middle of the 16th century was constructed after the design of Jacopo Sansovino and was standing between Procuratie Vecchie and Procuratie Nuove, the two long arched buildings that ran along the entire Piazza San Marco. These buildings housed the offices and residences of the most influential political figures of the Venetian Republic. The new Palace was built as the residence of Napoleon, but was completed in the years of Austrian rule and served as a residence of the Habsburg court in Venice. The architects of the building with monumental double facade, in some mysterious portico, ample staircase and the luxurious ballroom was Giovanni Antonio Antolini, Giuseppe Salts and Lorenzo Santi. On the decorations of the Palace was worked by Venetian artist Giuseppe Borsato, which is carefully reproduced in the interior of the Imperial style, and the ceiling above the Grand staircase in 1837-38, respectively, was painted with frescoes by Sebastiano Santi.