/ / Museum of the Samnites: photos, description (Museo del Sannio)

Museum of the Samnites: photos, description (Museo del Sannio)

Museum of the Samnites in Benevento dedicated to different historical eras since the founding of the city and consists of four sections - archaeological, medieval, artistic and historical. The first three are located in the cloister of Santa Sofia, and the latter is housed in the Rocca dei Rettori. In addition, in 1981, the year the property of the Museum moved to the Church of Sant Ilario and Port Aurea.

The predecessor of the present Museum was a small archaeological Museum, founded in 1806, the year's Talleyrand, Napoleon mystrom. First Director of the Museum, Louis De beer, has greatly enriched its collections from their personal collections and the collections of the Duc de Talleyrand. Soon, however, the Museum building was given to the community of the Jesuits, which opened its own College, while maintaining archaeological collections. In 1873, the year was founded a Museum of the Samnites, the core of which was the collection of archaeological artifacts. It was located in the building of the Rocca dei Rettori until 1929, the year when part of the collections was moved to the complex of Santa Sofia, which was purchased specifically for this purpose (old section remained in the Rocca dei Rettori).

Section of archaeology occupies the first floor of the monastery cloister. This area displays various ancient artifacts: the Lapidarium exhibits of the Paleolithic, imported from all over the province, items of terracotta and ceramics, as related to the era of the Samnites, and to the times of great Greece (8-4-th century BC). In addition, the section can see the Roman copies of Greek statues, statues of the Emperor Trajan and his wife Dam, bas-reliefs with scenes of gladiatorial fights, and in the Hall of ISIS represented in Egyptian artifacts from the temple of the goddess.

A section dedicated to the middle Ages, remarkable, first and foremost, a "Sale della Langobardia Minor", where you can learn the history of the Lombards of Benevento. Here are collected many architectural elements and early-Christian inscriptions, weapons, ornaments of gold, silver and bone implements, coins, including Greek, Byzantine, Neapolitan, etc. On the second floor, in the Lions of the Loggia, exhibited sculptures and antique arms.

The art section is a picture gallery with works by local artists. The Renaissance is represented by paintings by Donato Piperine, in the Hall of the Baroque can be seen the distinctive furniture and ceramics, and in the Hall of the 19th century - a huge relief watercolorist Achille Vianelli. There is also the work of artists Corrado cagli, Renato Guttuso, Mino Maccari, as well as drawings of the 16-19-th centuries, including a copy of the "Leda" of Leonardo da Vinci.

Finally, the historical section, housed in the Rocca dei Rettori, introduces the history of Benevento by using official documents and other exhibits parchments Falcone Beneventano, papal edicts, declarations of Talleyrand, busts of historical characters. Special attention is paid to the movement of the Risorgimento in Benevento and local patriots.