/ / The Museum of glass Murano: photo description (Museo del Vetro)

The Museum of glass Murano: photo description (Museo del Vetro)

The glass Museum of Murano is one of the most interesting museums of Venice, is devoted to the history and development of glass-blowing skill, where you can see amazing beauty products made from this fragile material. The Museum is located on the island of Murano, in Palazzo Giustinian, which in the past served as the residence of the bishops of Torcello. Originally the Palazzo was built in the Gothic style as an aristocratic residence, and in 1659, the year it settled Bishop Marco Giustinian, who later bought the Palace and gave it to the Torcello diocese. Apparently, for this good deed Palazzo and began to call his name. When, in 1805, the year the Torcello diocese was abolished, the Palace became the property of the Venetian Patriarchate, which, in turn, in 1848, the year gave it to the municipality of Murano. In the mid-18th century, the Palazzo housed the town hall of Murano, and in 1861, the year it was opened the Museum of glass. Originally the collection of the Museum occupied only a single room on the first floor, but the number of exhibits has grown exponentially, and the Museum needed more and more space. So, gradually, the glass Museum occupied the entire building, Palazzo Giustinian. After 1923, the year the autonomy of the municipality of Murano was abolished and the island became part of Venice, the Museum became part of the Association of City museums of Venice. Now in his collection you can see beautiful examples of glass production, including decoration of the Renaissance and a unique collection of archaeological findings from the necropolises of enona.

Today the arches of the huge Central hall of the Palazzo Giustinian on the ground floor, facing the Grand canal, reminiscent of the past splendor of the Palace, they decorated with frescoes by Francesco Zugno with allegorical depiction of the triumph of St. Lorenzo, the first Patriarch of Venice. The frieze can be seen the family coats of arms of noble families of Murano. Special attention deserves the huge Central chandelier, made in the 19th century for the exhibition of Murano Glass Exposition and received her gold medal.