/ / The Museum of the Phlegraean fields in the castle of Baia: photos, description (Museo archeologico dei Campi Flegrei)

The Museum of the Phlegraean fields in the castle of Baia: photos, description (Museo archeologico dei Campi Flegrei)

The Baia castle and Museum of the Phlegraean fields is one of the few places in Europe where very small areas (in the Western part of the Gulf of Naples) infused archaeology, history, myths, and even Geology! The castle of Baia, which can be called a fortress, dominates the area - today it houses the Museum of the Phlegraean fields. It stands on the Western extremity of the Bay of Naples at Capo Miseno near Cuma, the first permanent Greek colony on the Apennine Peninsula. Around the castle, the ruins of the great Port Giulio - home port of the Western fleet of Ancient Rome, now flooded and turned into an underwater archaeological Park. To examine these ruins as part of the tour on the glass bottom boat or while scuba diving. Also preserved numerous fragments of Roman villas, temples and tanks scattered throughout. In the immediate vicinity of the castle is the place where, according to Virgil, Misenus, maker of musical instruments, challenged the God of the sea Triton, and even further is a lake of Lago Averno, where the same Virgil placed the entrance of hell.

For centuries - from the 16th century until the unification of Italy in 1861, the year - castle of Baia was an important defensive works on the approaches to Naples, the capital of the Kingdom of the two Sicilies. The whole complex occupies an area of about 45 thousand sq. m. at a height of 94 meters above the sea level. Architecturally, it is a mixture of styles because it was built in 1490-ies of the Aragonese dynasty to protect their possessions from the attacks of the French king Charles VIII and was later expanded and rebuilt. Last reconstruction was carried out at the end of the 18th century. In addition, the castle of Baia was one of the most impressive fortresses on the coast of the Bay of Naples, he performed other functions - diplomatic, cultural, scientific and even correctional. It stayed as guests of the Kingdom, was one of the first laboratories for the study of volcanism in the Phlegrean fields and even a prison! In 1927, the year the castle opened an orphanage for children of soldiers killed during the First World war. Then, the structure has long been abandoned, and after the earthquake of 1980, the year it was shelter for those whose homes were destroyed.

In 1993, the year the castle of Baia was purchased by the Department of archaeology and it was opened Museum of the Phlegraean fields. Three floors of the North tower is dedicated not only to the history of the castle itself, but also the archaeological past of the vast region of Campi Flegrei. Here you can see the reconstruction of the real "Sacellum" - a small Roman temple, discovered in 1986, the year in the waters of Punta Zabarella, the reconstruction of the Nymphaeum with statues of the Emperor Claudius, and of Ulysses, plaster casts, etc.