/ / National Gallery of Umbria: photo description (Galleria Nazionale Dell'umbria)

National Gallery of Umbria: photo description (Galleria Nazionale Dell'umbria)

National Gallery of Umbria - a collection of works of art in the Palazzo dei Priori in Perugia. Its collection consists of works by the greatest representatives of the Umbrian school of painting, dated 13-19 centuries, but most of the paintings were written in the 14-16 centuries. All works of art housed in the 23 galleries of the Palazzo.

The collection began in the mid-16th century with the establishment of the Perugia Academy of Drawing. Then the Academy was housed in the monastery of Convento degli olivetani Olivetani in Montemarciano, where was first exhibited paintings and drawings. With the closure of most of the religious institutions in the reign of Napoleon and then the restoration after the unification of Italy, most of the works of Italian art has ceased to be the property of the Church and became state property.

In 1863 the town meeting painting was named after Pietro Vannucci, known as Perugino, one of the greatest Italian artists. However, the problem of the construction of a separate building for the gallery was not resolved until 1873, when for these purposes were allocated the third floor of the Palazzo dei Priori in the center of Perugia. In 1918, the Pinakothek, which increased its holdings through numerous acquisitions and donations, became the Gallery Vannucci, and its patron was the king of Italy.