/ / National art gallery: photo description (Pinacoteca Nazionale)

National art gallery: photo description (Pinacoteca Nazionale)

National art gallery, opened in 1932, is the largest art gallery in Siena of national importance. Today it holds an extensive collection of works by Italian artists of the late middle Ages and the Renaissance. Collections are located in two splendid ancient palaces in the heart of Siena, Palazzo and Palazzo Brigidi Buonsignori. The first was built in the 14th century - it is believed that it was the residence of noble families of Pagnoccheschi. Palazzo Buonsignori was erected a century later in the mid-15th century, but the 19th century was significantly altered: in particular, have changed the facade of the building, which today has some similarities to another famous Palace of Siena, Palazzo Pubblico.

In the National art gallery preserves one of the largest collections of works by Sienese artists, the most valuable part of which are works of art of the 14th and 15th centuries. Among the outstanding paintings of the gallery can be called "Madonna of the Franciscans" and Polyptych No. 28 brushes, Duccio di Buoninsegna, "the Annunciation Ambrogio Lorenzetti, written in 1344, the adoration of the Magi" by Bartolo di Fredi, "the Birth of the virgin Mary and Archangel Michael casts out the rebellious angels by Domenico Beccafumi, the image of St. Peter on a throne, drawn by Guido da Siena etc. are Also in the gallery presents works by Ugolino di Nerio, Pietro Lorenzetti, Sassetta, Domenico di Bartolo, Taddeo di Bartolo, Francesco di Giorgio Martini, Matteo di Giovanni, Neroccio, di Bartolomeo, and other artists.