/ / National railway Museum Pietrarsa: photos, description (Museo nazionale ferroviario di Pietrarsa)

National railway Museum Pietrarsa: photos, description (Museo nazionale ferroviario di Pietrarsa)

National railway Museum of Pietrarsa is located between Naples, Portici and San Giorgio Cremano, a little apart from the railway line Napoli - Pietrarsa, the first in Italy. This area in the past was known as Pietra Bianca ("white stone"), but after the eruption of Vesuvius in 1631, the year was renamed Pietrarsa ("burnt stone"). The Museum can offer an exciting journey through time among the locomotives and trains which United Italy.

The Museum is located in a building that in 1840, the year was built as a workshop for the manufacture of steam engines for ships and locomotives. Huge workshop has held a number of pavilions, which today exhibits acquainting with 170 years of history of the Italian Railways.

In 1830, the year of Ferdinand of Bourbon was proclaimed ruler of the Kingdom of the two Sicilies, and from the very beginning of his reign, he ordered to build a small factory for the manufacture of steam engines for ships and ammunition for military purposes. This plant was only part of his huge project of modernization of the Kingdom. In 1837, the year Ferdinand decided to move the plant to a more appropriate location closer to the Palazzo Reale in Naples to have the opportunity to observe his work. Then the king met the French engineer Armand Bayar, who proposed to build the first railroad between Naples and Nozeroy. 3 October 1839, the year the first segment of the road connecting Naples and Portici, was opened. On this occasion from England arrived two locomotives received names Longride" and "Vesuvius".

The development of the railway network has become an important task for the Kingdom, and once again had to look for a more suitable place for the plant. Ferdinand II turned his attention to Pietrarsa, where it was destined to be born, the first steam engines made in Italy. In the mid-19th century, the plant employed 1,100 workers, and it was the largest industrial center of Italy. Only after the unification of Italy in 1861, the year the palm in the production of locomotives took the North of the country, and the Royal plant was first handed over to the government of Italy, and later in private hands. After the Second World war, the invention of diesel and electric trains has led to the fact that the steam locomotive was unnecessary, and the plant closed. Only in 1989-m to year, after several years of renovation and preparatory works on its territory was opened the national railway Museum.

The exposition of the Museum covers 36 thousand square meters, making it one of the largest museums of its kind in the world. Exhibits housed in the historic pavilions. So, in the Pavilion And you can see 26 steam locomotives and 4 three-stage electric locomotive. The most famous exhibit here is the copy of the locomotive "Vesuvius" - it was built in 1939 year, the 100th anniversary of the opening of the line Naples - Portici. In Pavilions b and C exhibited a variety of cars, including the car built by FIAT for the marriage of king Umberto II of Savoy and Maria Belgian. This car is notable for its interior decoration. In the Pavilion D exhibited diesel locomotives, Pavilion E is devoted to the video timeline.