/ / National Museum of great Greece: photos, description (Museo Nazionale della Magna Grecia)

National Museum of great Greece: photos, description (Museo Nazionale della Magna Grecia)

National Museum of the Magna Graecia, also known as the national archaeological Museum of Reggio di Calabria, is one of the largest and most important Italian museums. It is located in the city of Reggio di Calabria in Palazzo Piacentini.

Its original "core" is the archaeological collection of the former municipal Museum, collected in the 19th century, which eventually grew thanks to the discoveries made on the territory of ancient Greek colonies of Calabria, Basilicata and Sicily. Here also houses artifacts relating to the prehistoric and proto-period, the era of Ancient Rome and the Byzantine Empire. Interestingly, today new finds in Calabria, no longer exhibited in the Museum, and there, where they found a number of these exhibits allows you to create small local museums, like the museums in Crotone, Locri, Sibari, Lamezia Terme and other towns.

Among the most famous exhibits of the National Museum of the Magna Graecia, of course, is to provide a so-called "bronzes of Riace, two large well-preserved bronze statues of the 5th century BC, found in the province of Reggio. They are considered the most significant findings of the Greek period. Also in the Museum you can see the "Head of a Philosopher of Porticello is a rare example of Greek portrait painting, marble Kouros, a marble head of Apollo from Чирò, bronze plaques from the temple of Zeus at Locri, a rich collection of jewelry, mirrors, coins and medals and collection pinaki - plates of wood and baked clay.

Special mention deserves the Museum building itself - the Palazzo Piacentini, designed by architect Marcello Piacentini and built in 1932-1941-m years. It stands out for its monumentality and size. The main facade is decorated with images of banknotes from different cities of Magna Graecia. Inside, in addition to the National Museum is temporarily located public gallery, which holds works of the great painter Antonello da Messina.