/ / National Museum of Villa Guinigi: photos, description (Museo Nazionale di Villa Guinigi)

National Museum of Villa Guinigi: photos, description (Museo Nazionale di Villa Guinigi)

National Museum of Villa Guinigi is one of the richest and most interesting collections of works of art by artists of Lucca and foreign artists. The Museum is located in one of the oldest palaces in town, built for Paolo Guinigi, ruler of Lucca in the 15th century.

The construction of this Gothic building began in 1413, the year. It consists of a massive brick blocks, of which "soften" the two communicating loggias on the ground floor and a number of elegant triple Lancet Windows all over the facade. For many centuries the Villa was used for multiple purposes and not just abandoned. Only in 1924 year, it was decided to open the Museum and there began a long period of restoration work. In 1948, the year the Villa became the property of the state, and it houses the collection of works of art previously kept in the Palazzo Pubblico.

Today, the Museum Villa Guinigi, you can find a variety of very interesting exhibits. So, the exposure of the first floor is dedicated to the history of Lucca and its environs, beginning in the 8th century BC, exhibited here vases of ancient necropolises, bronze statues, ceramics, amphorae, burial offerings, etc. Here you can see the reconstruction of the burial of the 3rd century BC, And findings from the Ligurian necropolis of Marlia, Ponticello.

Another section of the Museum dedicated to Christian art, which is represented by the frescoes of the 5th century, gold and wooden crosses, bas-reliefs of the age of the Lombards, sculptures from the Cathedral. In the Central hall exhibited a Madonna and child — an amazing marble sculpture of the masters of Siena, Tino di Camaiano. A room devoted to the Renaissance, a wooden assumption of the virgin Mary work Vecchietti and Neroccio. Exhibition of the first floor ends with a room with works of art in the style of mannerism.