/ / National Museum of Rome: photo description (Museo Nazionale Romano)

National Museum of Rome: photo description (Museo Nazionale Romano)

National Museum of Rome - several museums in Rome, located in different buildings throughout the city. Founded in 1889 to collect and store artifacts of the 5th century BC - 3 century ad-Museum collection was the collection of archaeological artifacts from the Museum, Kircheriano owned by the antiquarian Athanasius Kircher. After Rome became the capital of the newly established Italian Kingdom, the city has developed extensive work on the layout of the streets. In the course of these works was discovered many ancient artifacts, which have joined the collection of the Museum. It was assumed that it will be exhibited in the Museum of the Tiber (and not created), but in 1901, the government has allocated for the collection of the Villa Ludovisi, constructed on the site of the cloister of the 16th century. The latter was built by Michelangelo. The rebuilding of the Museum was completed in 1930-ies.

Today the collection of the former Museum of Cercariae stored in the Crypt Balbi on via Delle Botteghe Oscure, 31. This crypt was discovered in 1981 during excavations between the churches of Santa Caterina dei Funari and San Stanislao day of Palacky. On this spot once stood the theatre of General Lucius Cornelia Balba Younger. All that remains of the theatre are also exhibited in the Crypt Balbi. In addition here you can see the numismatic collection, items from the Roman Forum, the frescos of the Church of Santa Maria in via Lata and other exhibits. The second floor of the exhibition is called "Rome from antiquity to the Middle ages and illustrates the period of life of the city from the 5th to the 10th century.

Another part of the National Museum of Rome occupies Palazzo Altemps in the area of Ponte. The Palazzo is located to the North of Piazza Navona. In ancient times here was one of the two main marble ports on the Tiber, the ruins of which were discovered during the excavations of 1891. Most likely, here was located the temple of Apollo on the site of the present Church of Sant'apollinare. The Palazzo Altemps was designed in the 15th century was Girolamo Riario, a relative of Pope Sixtus IV, in one of the rooms of the Palace are preserved the fresco of the marriage of Girolamo and Caterina Sforza in 1477. On the decoration of Palazzo worked for Antonio da Sangallo the Elder and Baldassarre, Peruzzi. In 1568, the building became the property of cardinal Marcus Sitticus Altemps, which initiated the modernization of the Palace. At his order, was built the Belvedere. In 1997, Palazzo Altemps was turned into a Museum. Today you can see the sculptures of the Renaissance, and visit historic private theatre, which organises temporary exhibitions.

Another part of the Museum collection is the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, built on the site of Villa Montalto-Peretti (it was demolished in 1883 during the construction of the railway station). The Palazzo is built in the style of the 16th century by the architect Camillo's Pistrucci. During the Second world war the building was occupied by a military hospital, and in 1981, the government referred it to the National Museum of Rome. In the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme sculptures of different eras, a collection of coins and jewelry, frescoes, stuccoes, mosaics, etc. In one of the rooms kept the mummy was found in 1964 on the via Cassia, inside a richly decorated sarcophagus.