/ / Oneglia: photos, description (Oneglia)

Oneglia: photos, description (Oneglia)

Oneglia is a quarter in the Ligurian town of Empire until 1923, the year the former independent municipality. In the 8th century after the Lombards, the Oneglia became a papal possession, but was soon destroyed by the pirates-Muslims who in those years were raging in the Ligurian sea. Later the town was restored under the name Ripa, Anelie and became the property of the bishops of Albenga. In 1298, the year the nearby Oneglia and Porto Maurizio was purchased by the noble Genoese Doria family name that ruled here until the 16th century. It is in Oneglia in 1466, the year he was born, the famous commander Andrea Doria.

In 1576, the year Oneglia and Porto Maurizio became part of the Savoy Empire then began the period of development of the city as a major port. Dinner looked and the Genoese, with whom savoury fought in the Second Genoese-Savoyard war of the 17th century, and Napoleon during his invasion of Italy. In 1814 year, the Oneglia became the capital of the province, and in 1861, the year became part of United Italy.

In contrast with the neighbouring Porto Maurizio, situated on a promontory Oneglia lies on an alluvial plain at the mouth of the river Impero. Residential areas the surrounding hills and the old quarter facing the Ligurian sea. From local attractions to highlight the Church of San Giovanni Battista in the center of Onelli, built in the late Baroque style in 1762, the year, Piazza Ulisse Calvi with the great Palace of the 18th century, which is now located the school, and the Villa of Grok, the real name is Villa Bianca. The latter stands on a hill in the area of residential development. Once it belonged to a Swiss clown Grok, whose name became most famous. The main square of Oneli - Piazza Dante - framed continuous number of porticoes in the style of Neoclassicism. Part of the porticoes is typical Piedmont features, other built in typical Ligurian style. In Piazza Dante there is the famous cafe "Caffe Pasticceria Piccardo" with a century of history - it is marked in all the guidebooks for the Empire as a favorite vacation spot of Bohemian audience of the past.