/ / Opera house La Scala: photos, description (La Scala)

Opera house La Scala: photos, description (La Scala)

La Scala - the world famous Opera house in Milan. Was inaugurated in August 1778, the year and originally known as Nuovo Regio Ducale Teatro Alla Scala. The first production at the theater became "Recognized Europe" Antonio Salieri. Over the last 200 years on the stage of La Scala has performed virtually all the great Opera singers of Italy and a huge number of celebrities from around the world. Today La Scala is considered one of the leading Opera and ballet theatres in the world. The theatre traditionally begins December 7 — the Day of St. Ambrose, patron of Milan.

In the Museum of La Scala, which you can get into via the theatre foyer houses a collection of paintings, sketches, statues, costumes and other exhibits related to the history of theatre and Opera in General.

In 1776 a terrible fire destroyed Milan theatre Teatro Regio Ducale. Immediately after this, the group of wealthy citizens who had their own lodges in the theatre, wrote a letter ERTS-Duke Ferdinand of Austria, with a request to build a new theater to replace the burned. The project of the new building work of the neoclassical architect Giuseppe Piermarini, but his first draft was rejected. Only some time later, Empress Maria Theresa approved some variation of the idea of the architect.

A new theatre was built on the site of the Church of Santa Maria Alla Scala — hence its modern name. For the past 2 years on the construction of the building worked with the architects Giuseppe Piermarini, Pietro Nosetti and Antonio and Giuseppe Fe. New La Scala can accommodate more than 3 thousand spectators, and its stage was already one of the largest in Italy (16,15 m x 20.4 m x 26 m). The cost of construction of the theater was offset by the sale of lodges, which were richly decorated by the owners (one of the first, for example, was Stendhal). La Scala soon became a meeting place for noble and wealthy people of Milan, but to visit the theatre could be and the poorer the audience for them was provided by the so-called "Logone". Like most theatres of that time, La Scala was also a casino, players who placed in the foyer.

Originally La Scala were covered more than a thousand oil lamps, and in the event of a fire a few rooms of the building were filled with hundreds of sump pumps. Later oil lamps were replaced by gas, and those, in turn, on electric in 1883, the year.

In 1907, the house La Scala was renovated, and the number of seats has declined slightly to 2,800. During the Second World war the theatre was seriously damaged by air strikes, but already in 1946, the year was restored and opened again. The first post-war production was a concert conducted by Arturo Toscanini, the pupil and colleague of the great Giuseppe Verdi and Giacomo Puccini.