/ / Ossana: photo description (Ossana)

Ossana: photo description (Ossana)

Ossana is a first - class summer tourist resort in the territory of Val di sole attracts with its rich history and numerous monuments. The village, lying at the foot of the peaks of the Presanella in the beginning of Val di Peio, in recent years has experienced a real boom in development. Today it combines the functions of a tourist resort and an important agricultural, commercial and handicraft centre.

Since time immemorial, Ossana was the political, administrative and religious centre of the upper part of Val di sole, thanks to its location at the confluence of the valleys of Vermiglio and Peio. The first written mention of it found at the end of the 12th century, when it was known as the Castrum Vulcane. And recently held in the hills of San Michele, archaeological excavations suggests that in the bronze age people lived here. Throughout the Middle ages and in modern times Ossana was a flourishing village, mostly from the nearby in the villages of Fucine, iron miners mines and trade with Lombardy. Its history is closely connected with the history of the castle, the ownership of which was disputed by the bishops of Trento and the counts of Tyrol and dwelt in a noble feudal family from Federici to Geidarov and Bertelli. In 1525, the year is played out the bloody peasant uprising, and in 1918-m to year, at the end of the First World war, Italian troops came from Tonale, set the fire, during which burned the old house of the parish priest of the 12th century.

Today one of the most exciting attractions in Ossana is a massive structure that attracts the attention of all tourists without exception, is standing on the castle hill of San Michele. The castle is a classic observation point located in a strategically important location. He probably has a Lombard origin, although first mentioned only in 1191, the year. Until the end of the 13th century it was owned by the bishops of Trento and then was captured by Tyrolean count Minardo. At present the castle is owned by the government of the Autonomous region of Trentino-Alto-Adige, which initiated the restoration work. The castle is surrounded by two rows of walls and 16th-century Bastion that dominates the entire valley and is the most well-preserved part of the complex.

Other sites of Ossana is to examine an old house in the heart of the village, which was recently discovered cycle of frescoes of the 15th-16th centuries. In the upper part of the valley is the parish Church of San Virgilio. The current Church building was built in the late 15th - early 16th centuries on the site of an ancient temple, which is preserved only large Romanesque bell tower. The Renaissance facade of the temple you can see the inscription "1536". Inside, the only nave are three altars. The home is made of wood in the 17th century, the right marble - the creation of the Veronese sculptor Markesini and the left, also marble, is the work of artisans from Trentino.

Outside of Ossana on the hill Tomino is another interesting Church of Sant'antonio, built in 1686-1718-m years. It is surrounded by 13 stations of the way of the Cross and is considered the most important Baroque building in Val di sole. Inside you can admire the stucco Comaschi, murals dalla Torre and paintings of Domenico Bonora.