/ / Isola Madre: photos, description (Isola Madre)

Isola Madre: photos, description (Isola Madre)

Isola Madre - the largest island of the Borromean archipelago, located on lake Maggiore. Today there are several buildings and architectural structures, and world-famous gardens. In the past the island was known as Isola di San Vittore and Isola Maggiore.

Some historical sources report that in the mid-9th century the Isola Madre was the Church and cemetery, which is reflected in the name Scala dei morti - "Stairway of the dead", which is located in the garden of the island. It is also known that in those days the island was cultivated olives. In 1501, the year of Lancillotto Borromeo, one of the five children of Giovanni III Borromeo started to grow on Isola Madre citrus cuttings which he specially brought from Liguria along with the gardener. Lancillotto built on the island residence of the family that in 1580-ies have expanded and altered in the Renaissance style by order of Renato I Borromeo.

Today the Palazzo Borromeo, built on the foundations of the old Church, cemetery and perhaps castle of San Vittore, surrounded by making a memorable impression Park - Botanical garden of Isola Madre (Giardini Botanici Dell'isola Madre). The total area of this English style gardens at the end of the 18th century, is more than eight hectares. Its attraction is the aforementioned Scala dei morti, which in the past was adorned with luxurious Wisteria. Myself Botanical garden consists of seven terraces, on which you can see cypresses, rhododendrons, magnolias, maples, palm trees, which are more than a hundred years, and one of the first Italian collections of camellias. The so-called African alley - Viale Africa - located on the Sunny side of Isola Madre. And in the Piazzale dei Pappagalli live parrots, peacocks, pheasants and other birds.

Attention should be paid to the family chapel Borromeo, built in 1858, the year: in contrast with the eponymous chapel on the island of Isola Bella, this contains no graves or tombstones.