/ / Island Isolino di San Giovanni: photo description (Isolino di San Giovanni)

Island Isolino di San Giovanni: photo description (Isolino di San Giovanni)

Island Isolino di San Giovanni - a small island in the part of the Borromean archipelago, located on lake Maggiore. It lies in the Borromean Gulf to the North from the other Islands of the archipelago, 30 metres from the coast Pallanza, district of Verbania and is administratively subordinate to him.

The first mention of Isolino di San Giovanni are found in documents of Emperor Otto III in the late 10th century - at that time it was known as Isola di Sant'angelo. On the island stood a castle and a chapel dedicated to the Archangel Michael, which probably gave name to the whole island. Later the chapel was destroyed and the island's name was changed to San Giovanni by the name of the chapel with the baptismal font of St. John the Baptist (San Giovanni Battista).

In the middle of the 12th century, the island became a possession of the counts Barbara - this is stated in the documents of Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa. And at the end of the 16th century the local noble family of Borromeo was determined based on Isolino di San Giovanni College varnavidou. They managed to buy the island in 1632, the year, at the same time there was built a Villa and garden.

Its present appearance of Palazzo Borromeo and its surrounding Park was given to the reconstruction of mid-19th century. His most known inhabitant was an Italian conductor Arturo Toscanini, who lived here from 1927 to 1952. Today Isolino di San Giovanni and the Palazzo Borromeo are in private hands and closed to the public.