/ / The island of Pantelleria: photo description (Pantelleria)

The island of Pantelleria: photo description (Pantelleria)

Pantelleria is a small island belonging to the province of Trapani and lying 100 km South-West of Sicily, 60 km East of Tunisia. The island's area is only 83 sq. km the highest peak is Monte Grande (836 m), has numerous fumaroles that talks about the volcanic origins of the island. However, the only historically witnessed eruption took place in 1891 - it was underwater.

In the North-Western part of Pantelleria is the island's capital with a population of only about 3 thousand people. The fortified town is situated on the only harbour available, however, only small craft. You can get here by ferry from Trapani or by air.

According to archeological studies, people on Pantelleria appeared about 35 thousand years ago, and it was Iberian or Ibero-Ligurian tribes. In 2-1 Millennium BC lived here society, leaving a structure very similar to the Sardinian Nuraghe. Then for some time the island was uninhabited until it was under the rule of the Carthaginians, who considered it an important point on the approaches to Sicily. It happened at about 7 century BC, the Carthaginians built on the hills of San Marco and Santa Teresa, located 2 km South of the modern capital of the island, the Acropolis. From a preserved stone walls, cisterns and water tanks, some graves and the ruins of the temple, in which was found the terracotta figurines.

The Romans, finally took the Pantelleria in 217 BC, used the island as a place of exile for important officials and members of the Imperial family. In place of the Romans came the Arabs, who in 700 A. D., destroyed the entire population. They gave the island its name, which means "daughter of the Wind" - because of the strong winds blowing from the African coast. Saracens could only expel Roger Sicilian - the decisive battle took place in 1123.

In relatively recent times - in the years of the Second World war - at Pantelleria located base Italian torpedo boats, which took part in the attacks on the British convoys. In 1943 during the landing of allied troops in Sicily Pantelleria has undergone massive bombardment from the air and from the sea, after which he was captured.

Today the island, which is called "black pearl of Sicily", is a very popular tourist destination. On its Western shore you can see the ancient settlement, surrounded by a shaft of obsidian blocks and having 7.5 meters tall and 10 meters wide. On the territory of settlements were discovered the ruins of a hut with pottery, which are now kept in the Museum of Syracuse. In the South-Eastern part of Pantelleria is located above the "sesi" - burial, similar to the Nuraghi of Sardinia, but smaller in size. They consist of round towers with burial chambers. The largest tower has a diameter of 18-20 meters, but most of the "sesi" three times less. They were also found pottery.

In addition, Pantelleria is famous for its sweet wine - Moscato di Pantelleria and Moscato Passito di Pantelleria, made from local grapes "zibibbo".