/ / Procida: photo description (Procida)

Procida: photo description (Procida)

Procida is one of the Phlegraean Islands, lying off the coast of Naples in the Italian region of Campania. The island is located between Capo Miseno and the island of Ischia. Together with another tiny islet of vivara, it has the status of the commune and its population is about 10 thousand people.

The name Procida comes from the Latin word "to read", which means "near godfathers" (godfather was the ancient Greek settlement near Naples). According to another version, the name comes from the Greek verb "prokeimai" - "lie ahead."

Procida was formed by the eruption of four volcanoes, which today are considered sleeping and under the water. The total area of the island is less than 4 sq km, and its length is very rugged coastline is 16 km, the Highest point of the island is the hill of Terra Murata (91 m.

Procida was part of the Mycenaean civilization in 16-15 th centuries BCE, then in the 8th century BC, the island came the first Greek settlers, which were replaced by the other ancient Greeks, who came from Kuma. In the era of Ancient Rome, Procida became a popular resort, where he loved to rest the patricians and aristocrats. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the Byzantine conquest of the island was in the grip of the Neapolitan Duchy Constant raids from the first of the vandals and Goths, and then of the Saracens forced the inhabitants of the island to build a fortified settlement typical of the middle Ages. Natural shelter served as a Cape, surrounded on all sides by mountains. In the same period on the coast was built a watchtower, which became a symbol of Procida.

After the Norman conquest of southern Italy, the island became a feudal possession of the Da Procida family which owned it for over two centuries. The most famous representative of this family was John III of Procida, the adviser of the Emperor Frederick II and the leader of the popular uprising known as the Sicilian Vespers.

In 1339, the year of Procida became the property of the family of Koss, a devotee of the Angevin dynasty, which at that time, the rules in the Kingdom of Naples. Then began a period of deep economic transformation of the island, agriculture was abandoned, and the fisheries, on the contrary, received a powerful impetus to the development.

In 1744, the year king Charles III made Procida in the Royal hunting grounds. In that period the fleet of the island reached the peak of its prosperity, including through a flourishing shipbuilding industry. The population of the island increased to 16 thousand people. And in 1860, the year after the demise of the Kingdom of the two Sicilies, the island became part of Italy.

With the advent of the 20th century the economy of Procida was teethe decline, since local shipbuilders could not compete with the industrial giants. In 1907, the year of Procida lost its mainland territory, which was turned into an independent municipality of Monte di Procida. And in 1957, the year on the island was built the first underwater aqueduct. In recent decades the island's population once again began to slowly rise, not least due to the development of tourism, which, along with navigation is an important source of income for local residents.

On Procida, known for its colorful scenery and the typical Mediterranean architecture, filmed several movies, including the Hollywood Thriller "the Talented Mr. Ripley."