/ / Island Pianosa: photos, description (Isola di Pianosa)

Island Pianosa: photos, description (Isola di Pianosa)

Pianosa is a small island with an area just over 10 sq km in the Tyrrhenian sea. Is part of the national Park "Tuscan archipelago". The length of the coastline is 26 km away was Once called Planasia, which means "plain", because it is a flat land area with the highest peak of only 29 m. the Island is triangular in shape, is 14 km South-West of Elba and is part of the municipality of Campo Nell'elba. The vegetation mainly represented by Mediterranean - fennel, rosemary, juniper and other Local animals are mostly small mammals, such as hedgehogs and hares, brought here in the 19th century. It breeds on the coast of the red partridges, magpies and gulls, and in the season of migration here stop dozens of types of birds. Rich in wildlife and the sea around the island, but fishing in a national Park is prohibited.

Pianosa has been inhabited since the upper Paleolithic era, but around the 5th Millennium BC the sea level rose to its present level, and the inhabitants were forced to seek refuge on the neighboring island of Cleavage, where it is still possible to find traces of their stay. In Roman times the island was actively maintained - there were built houses, developing agriculture and fisheries. The ruins of the Villa Agrippa with black-and-white mosaic floors, a theatre and baths (Bagni di Agrippa). In the 4th century on Pianosa was inhabited by a small Christian commune, which survived the two-level catacombs, with more than 700 graves. In the Middle ages for the possession of the island fought Pisa and Genoa: in 1238, the year the Genoese destroyed the local village and the Pisan fortifications and took the inhabitants captive, and later Pisa regained their possessions, but after the collapse of the Pisan fleet in the battle of Meloria island again moved to Genoa, but remained uninhabited.

In the 19th century Pianosa and the neighbouring Islands was the subject of contention between the French and the Italians, on the orders of Napoleon in 1809, the year they were even strengthened. In 1856, by order of Leopold II, Grand Duke of Tuscany on the island was founded a penal colony after the unification of Italy, there were 149 inmates. Later was built a prison, able to accommodate 350 prisoners, but in 1872, the year the island was divided into numerous zones, which divided the prisoners into small groups. A century later, in the 1970-ies, the isolation was converted into a prison special control for the content of mafia bosses and terrorists from "Red brigades". In 1977, the year just two days on Pianosa were taken 600 prisoners from all over Italy. To separate the village from the colony was erected a fortified wall 6 meters high and 3 km in length. Until 1997, the year the island was a inaccessible and impenetrable fortress.

Today Pianosa - part of the national Park "Tuscan archipelago", which is from 1996, the year the sea is a specially protected area to protect the archaeological and natural heritage. The island is virtually closed to tourists - only 250 people per year can get back here by special permission in organized groups.

Pianosi attraction is the lighthouse on the Eastern end near the village - he works from 1865, the year and a two-storey building with 19-foot cylindrical tower.