/ / Salina island: photos, description (Isola di Salina)

Salina island: photos, description (Isola di Salina)

Salina is the second largest island of the volcanic archipelago of the Aeolian Islands in the Tyrrhenian sea. It lies in the heart of the archipelago and covers an area of 26.8 sq. km there are about 4 thousand people — the island's population is concentrated in three communities and several small villages.

Salina is formed by two dormant volcanoes fossa delle Felci (968 m) and Monte dei in porri (860 m), with the top of the fossa delle Felci is the highest point of the archipelago. The last volcanic eruption on the island took place more than 13 thousand years ago.

The first people on Salina appeared in the bronze age. Then, the island was regularly abandoned and inhabited again, and in the 4th century BC on the site of the present town of Santa Marina was founded as a Greek settlement existed here, and later, during the Roman Empire. From those times to our days preserved many graves and burial. In the Hellenistic era, the island was known as Didymus, which comes from the Greek word meaning "twins" (it refers to the two peaks of Salina).

In 1544, the year when Spain declared war on France, the French king Francis I asked the help of Ottoman Sultan Suleiman. He sent to the aid of a fleet under the command of the famous pirate Barbarossa who defeated the Spaniards. However, in the course of the war the Aeolian Islands is almost entirely lost its population, and subsequently they began to move people from Sicily and Spain itself. In particular, it is thus in the 16th century it was again populated Salina.

Of the natural attractions of Salina is to visit a national Park, whose territory includes both of the island peaks, and the salt lake of Lingua, which, incidentally, gave the island the name"Salina" in Italian means salt mill). On the slopes of fossa delle Felci preserved Roman burial. And between Malfoy and Laziness is the Church of the Madonna del Territo, built in 1630, the year and is a place of pilgrimage. Here in the 18th century, were found fragments of an ancient Roman Villa, but today they are deep under ground.