/ / The island of Sant'antioco: photos, description (Sant'antioco)

The island of Sant'antioco: photos, description (Sant'antioco)

Sant'antioco is the name of the island and a small town located in the South-Western part of Sardinia in the province of Carbonia-Iglesias. The population of the town is about 12 thousand people, making it the largest in Sant'antioco.

The island of Sant'antioco area of 109 sq km is the fourth largest in Italy after Sicily, Sardinia and Elba. It is located 87 km from Cagliari, to which is connected SS126 highway and modern bridge. On the island two municipalities - San'antioco and Calasetta. Among other small settlements can be called the tourist resort of Maladroxia and Cussorgia.

The island was inhabited in the 5th Millennium BC, it was representatives of culture, Ozieri, which were mainly engaged in fishing and agriculture. From those times till our days reached a distinctive stone tombs Domus de coveted Jonas", menhirs and of course the Nuraghe of su Niu de su Krobia, which can be translated as "crow's nest".

The town of Sant'antioco was founded in the 8th century BC by the Phoenicians, then he bore the name of Solki. It remained a children's necropolis. Later, in the 6th century BC, it became a colony of the Carthaginians, from whom also left the necropolis. At the end of the 2nd century BC the city was captured by the Romans, who connected it to Sardinia by an artificial isthmus. In those years it was called Plumbaria.

The current name of the island and the town derived from the name of St. Antiochus, a preacher of Christianity, who accepted a Martyr's death in 125 BC. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Sant'antioco was a fortified post of the Byzantines. Then, beginning in the 8th century, he was regularly subjected to attacks by the Saracens, forced the residents to leave these places and move inland. The new settlement was founded only in the middle of the 10th century yudikata Cagliari (hereditary fief), but soon was abandoned. From the 14th century the island was part of the Kingdom of Sardinia, later, in 1503, he was acquired by the Archbishopric of Cagliari, and finally in 1758 became the property of the religious order of the saints Maurizio and Lazarus. At that time there lived about 450 people.

Today Sant'antioco is popular among the residents of Cagliari, the place of rest, which on weekends is full. Tourists also come here to explore ancient monuments: the early Christian Basilica of Sant'antioco, restored in 1089-1102 years, the Roman bridge, the ancient Acropolis, the Phoenician and the Carthaginian necropolis. Interesting can be a visit to the Archaeological Museum, Ferruccio Barreca, the Museum of fine woven Linen and Fort su Pisa 19th century.