/ / The island of Favignana: photo description (Favignana)

The island of Favignana: photo description (Favignana)

Favignana is the largest of the Egadi Islands, located about 7 km West of the Western coast of Sicily. The island has always been famous for its tuna fishing, and in recent years has gained recognition as a popular tourist destination - today it can be reached by hydrofoil, which depart regularly from Sicily.

The total area of Favignana, in the shape of a butterfly - about 20 sq. km Main town of the island bearing the same name, is situated on a narrow isthmus connecting the two "wings." Eastern part of the island is mainly flat and is dominated by the Western chain of mountains, the highest of which is Monte Santa Caterina (314 m). On its top there is a fortress built by the Saracens and is still used for military purposes (it is closed to the public). Near the southern coast of Favignana lies a number of smaller islets.

In ancient times Favignana was called D'aigouze, which means "island of goats". The modern name of the island comes from the word Favonio - the Italian word to denote a Hairdryer, a strong, gusty and warm wind. The first who colonized the island were the Phoenicians, they used it as a stopping point on their transcreditleasing trade routes. In 241 BC during First Punic war off the coast of Favignana broke out the main naval battle between the Romans and the Carthaginians. Two hundred Roman ships defeated the greatly superior size of the Carthaginian fleet, sunk 120 ships of the enemy and capturing about 10 thousand people. Dead bodies washed up on the North-Eastern coast of the island, later called Red Bay because of the color of blood waves.

In the 4th century BC the inhabitants of Favignana were converted to Christianity. In the middle ages, the island came under the rule of Arabs, and for some time served as the basis for the Islamic conquest of Sicily. Then there was the Normans who in 1081 year built a number of fortifications. Still later, Favignana and the other Egadi Islands were leased to Genoese merchants and in the 15th century was donated by a certain Giovanni de Karissima, received the title "Baron of Tuna".

First, who in the 17th century began to systematically produce tuna in abundance used to inhabit in the coastal waters of Favignana were the Spaniards. In 1637 they sold the island to the Marquis Pallavicino of Genoa, which contributed to the founding of the city of Favignana around Castello San Giacomo. In 1874 Pallavicini for two million lire sold the Egadi Islands Ignazio Florio, the son of a wealthy industrialist. He invested significant funds into the development of the local economy and built a large plant for the production of canned tuna. At the same time on the island opened the first of a career whose products are exported to Tunisia and Libya.

In the 20th century Favignana was expecting difficult times: the economy of the island between the two world wars fell into disrepair, and a large part of the population was forced to emigrate. The restoration of the tuna industry began only in the mid-1950s and in the late 1960-ies began the rapid development of the tourism industry, which continues to this day.

Feminina famous for its caves of calcarenite - limestone with grains of calcite, which the locals call a tufa and the ancient technology of production of tuna, rising back to Arab times. Beaches on the island a bit due to its geological structure, but tourists are attracted here by the opportunities for diving and Snorkelling. In addition, the island is often come from Sicilian town Trapani in a one-day tour - the journey takes from 20 minutes to an hour depending on the vehicle.