/ / Palazzo Abatellis: photos, description (Palazzo Abatellis)

Palazzo Abatellis: photos, description (Palazzo Abatellis)

Palazzo Abatellis, also known as Palazzo Patella, is an old Palace in Palermo, which today houses the Regional Art Gallery of Sicily. It is located in the Kalsa quarter.

The Palace was built in the 15th century by the architect Matteo Carnelivari, who in those years worked in Palermo over Palazzo Automigrate. Built in the Gothic-Catalan style, it served as the residence of Francesco Abatellis, the captain of the Sicilian Kingdom. After the death Abatellis, Palazzo got his wife, who in turn bequeathed it to the convent. In order to adapt the building to the monastic life, it was carried out small reconstruction, in particular in 1535-1541 years was attached to the chapel concealing one of the facades of the Palace. In the 18th century during the construction of the Church of Santa Maria della Pieta chapel was abolished and divided into several rooms. The front part was used as a reception room, a rear room was turned into shops, and the altar moved.

In the night from 16 to 17 April 1943, the Palazzo was subjected to the awful bombardirovke troops of the allies: covered balcony, porch, South-West sector of the Palace and the wall of the West tower was destroyed. After the war the Palace was restored by architects Mario Guiotto and Armando Dillon and turned into a art gallery of medieval art, which opened in 1954.

Today the walls of the Regional Art Gallery of Sicily you can see a collection of works of art, many of which were purchased after the closure of some religious orders in 1866. Initially they were kept in the Pinacoteca of the University Regii, and in the second half of the 19th century in the National Museum of Palermo.

On the first floor of the gallery includes works from the tree of the 12th century, works of art of the 14th and 15th centuries, including the work of Antonello Gagini, majolica 14-17 centuries, "bust of a Lady, Francesco Laurana (15th century) and painted part of the wooden ceilings. In the former chapel, displays a huge mural "the Triumph of death", Dating back to 1445.

On the second floor you can see the most famous painting in the gallery - "the Annunciation" by Antonello da Messina (15th century), considered the masterpiece of the Italian Renaissance. It also exhibits the paintings of this artist with images of saints Augustine, Gregory and Jerome - once they were part of a larger polyptych, now destroyed. The work of foreign masters include the triptych of Jan Gossart and Jan Provost.