/ / Palazzo Alicorn: photos, description (Palazzo Alicorni)

Palazzo Alicorn: photos, description (Palazzo Alicorni)

Palazzo Alicorn - reconstructed building in the Renaissance style in Rome, with important historical and architectural points of view. The Palace, originally located just a few metres from the Colonnade by Bernini in the Piazza San Pietro, was demolished in 1930-m to year in the course of establishing the boundaries of the newly created Vatican city state and rebuilt a few hundred yards to the East. The author of the project of the original Palazzo was Giovanni Mangone, an architect from Lombardy, who worked in Rome in the 16th century.

Palazzo Alicorn is located in the Roman district of Borgo Santo Spirito and opposite the Palazzo del Commendatore, which is part of the OSPEDALE di Santo Spirito in Sassia. On the West side street of via Cascavelle separates the Palazzo from Alicorn remarkable Palazzo dei Penitenzieri, and on the East side of the building is a street, via del OSPEDALE.

Family Alicorn immigrants from Albania were forced to flee from their homeland in the mid-15th century during the reign of the Ottoman Empire on the Balkan Peninsula. Thanks to the multiple marriages with representatives of the Italian nobility, the family quickly reached a high position. At the beginning of the 16th century Traiano Alicorno built in Rome a Palace on the site of two small Inns, but after his death the building began to pass from hand to hand and gradually fell into decay. After the erection in 1667, the year of the colonnades by Bernini and arrangement of the Piazza San Pietro, Palazzo Alicorn was isolated on three sides.

In 1850, the year the Palace housed the Roman civil guard (a type of militia), so it was renamed Palazzo della Gran Guardia. Later, around it, several buildings were built, which "choked" the Palazzo. One of the development plans of Rome of the end of the 19th century, it was even envisaged the demolition of the Palace, but in 1888, the year he was bought by the city and converted into a primary school. However, in the 1930-ies the building had to be demolished. It was restored in 1938 by the project of architects Attilio Spaccarelli and Marcello Piacentini. Subsequently, the building housed the headquarters of the Association of Catholic Italy, a hotel, and from 2015, the year - religious organisation, bringing together Catholic businessmen.

Renovated Palazzo Alicorn preserved the original appearance of the 16th century, having lost at the same time some of the decorative elements. So, I saved the doors and window frames the back yard, but Doric friezes of the rooms and wooden ceiling main bedroom was lost. Failed to save and grilles protecting the Windows of the first floor Windows, two covered privy stairs, and watchtower on the roof. Other decorative elements such as grotesques, are now on display in the Roman Museum.