/ / Palazzo Aldobrandeschi: photos, description of Palazzo Aldobrandeschi)

Palazzo Aldobrandeschi: photos, description of Palazzo Aldobrandeschi)

Palazzo Aldobrandeschi, also known as Palazzo della Provincia, is one of the main palaces of the historic centre of Grosseto. Today it houses the administration of the province of Grosseto. The main facade overlooks Piazza Dante and serves as its Eastern extremity.

The first building on this spot, built in the Middle ages, were connected with the nearby fortress of Rocca Aldobrandesca, near which stood the Church of San Giorgio. Unfortunately, the Church, and the fortress was lost, and in their place was built the other buildings, for example, Cassero del Sal, and the Wall of the Medici.

After the destruction of the fortress, the Palazzo became the town residence of the powerful family Aldobrandeschi, who ruled in Pisa from the 9th to 12th century. Over time it began to decline, and the decision was made about the demolition of what remained of the ancient Palace, and erecting in its place a new Palace. However, in 1898, the year 500 residents of Grozny sent to the provincial Council a petition for the acquisition and restoration of the Palazzo Aldobrandeschi. The building, once the former residence of the podestà of the city, and then private apartments, was designed for the administration of the province of Grosseto. It consisted of four different joint structures. But despite the public outcry, the Council decided to demolish these buildings and build a new building. In 1899, the year old Palazzo Aldobrandeschi was demolished, and in April 1900, the year began a new construction. In 1903, the year the renovated Palace was inaugurated.

Palazzo Aldobrandeschi is located in the historic centre of Grosseto. The building has the shape of a polygon and designed in the Gothic revival style that is expressed in architectural and decorative elements, as well as in the use of building material - limestone tufa and brick. The facade facing Piazza Dante, with its Cathedral of San Lorenzo and consists of four elements - two towers and two lower parts. On the ground floor, the portal, five window openings and a slit to the arch. In the six lunettes of the portal you can see the heraldic symbols. The so-called "piano Nobile" is more symmetry because of its six three-sided Windows. On the third floor, three double Windows and one four -. The West side of the Palazzo has four floors with a loggia with semicircular arches, and the East side is only two floors.