/ / Palazzo Balbi: photos, description (Palazzo Balbi)

Palazzo Balbi: photos, description (Palazzo Balbi)

Palazzo Balbi Palace in Venice, which stands on the banks of the Grand canal in the Dorsoduro district right of another Palace CA’ Foscari. Today, the Palazzo is the seat of government of the Veneto region and the regional Council.

The Palace was built in 1582, the year by the architect Alessandro Vittoria for the aristocratic Venetian family Balbi. For some time it was owned by the family of Biondi, the 19th century building was acquired by Michelangelo Guggenheim and, later, Electric society of the Adriatic. Only in 1971, the year of the Palazzo Balbi was the residence of the regional government.

The Palace consists of three floors with a mezzanine and add-in, and its facade has a simple symmetrical shape. On the lower floor of the center is a large semicircular portal, decorated with mascarons and tympanum. On the sides there are two entrances, smaller. The upper floors of the same size divided into three sections with false columns and separated horizontally by extensive formwork. In the center you can see three triple mullioned window with a pair of Doric columns and railings. Between the Windows on the first floor there are family coats of arms of the Balbi family. Under the eaves are scalloped small oval Windows with delicate frames, and the top of the building surmounted by two turrets in the form of obelisks that resemble the same at the Palazzo Belloni of Battage. Inside the Palazzo Balbi decorated with frescoes of the 18th century painted by Jacopo Guarana.