/ / Palazzo Barbieri: pictures, description (Palazzo Barbieri)

Palazzo Barbieri: pictures, description (Palazzo Barbieri)

Palazzo Barbieri, located on the Piazza Bra square in Verona, is a relatively new Palace, which is now occupied by the City Municipality. It was built in the first half of the 19th century by architect Giuseppe Barbieri, whose name is to this day. Originally called the Palazzo Gran Guardia Nuova, and, according to the plan of the Austrian authorities of the city, was used for military purposes. The Habsburgs have placed in this magnificent building database of the Austrian troops, and hence commanded the defense of Verona, and after the unification of Italy, the Palazzo was converted into a residence for the city government. Since 1874 it housed administrative offices.

Palazzo Barbieri is a huge building, built of tufa in a simple neoclassical style with Corinthian columns and the pronaos (open portion between the portico and the nave) rising above the Grand staircase. Round extension at the rear was added during the restoration carried out after the Second World war, in which the Palazzo was seriously injured. The most terrible bombing of Verona took place on the night of February 23 1945, when a considerable part of the Palace was destroyed. Fortunately, after the war, the Palazzo was restored in record time.

The interior of the Palace amazes with severity and grandeur at the same time. In the City Council chambers you can see the incredible size of the canvas, Felice Brusasorzi, and in the Hall, Arazzi - picture Paolo Farinati, were both written in the 16th century. There is also a small fresco of the second half of the 14th century, which depicts a crucified Jesus Christ, the Madonna and John the Baptist. The author of the frescoes is unknown, and she was presented to the City Council of Verona in 1901.

The name of the Hall Arazzi, which translated from Italian means "Hall of Tapestries", comes from the collection of textile Handicrafts that were exhibited here after the war. In 1996, the tapestries were restored. However, here are two paintings of the 16th century: one shows the "supper in the house of Levi, Veronese, on the other - "Victory of the people of Verona" Paolo Farinati. In addition, at Palazzo Barbieri, you can see a few interesting paintings from different eras - images of Piazza Erbe case, written in 1839 by the artist Carlo Ferrari, Angelo, Dell Oka Bianca and Eugenio of Ginosa.