/ / Palazzo Bartolini Salimbeni: photos, description (Palazzo Bartolini Salimbeni)

Palazzo Bartolini Salimbeni: photos, description (Palazzo Bartolini Salimbeni)

Palazzo Bartolini Salimbeni - Renaissance Palace in Florence, located on via de Tornabuoni, near Piazza Trinita. On this spot once stood the residence of a family of Soldiery, which also owned the Dati family. Later the residence was purchased by Bartolomeo Bartolini-Salimbeni. The present building was built by architect Baccio d Angola in 1520-1523 the years, what remained of the entry in the diaries of Bartolini. The structure represents one of the first in Florence of samples of the Palace in the High Renaissance style, popular at the time in Rome, where he studied d Angolo. Bartolini-Salimbeni owned the Palazzo until the beginning of the 19th century. Then, in 1839, the year it opened as a hotel "Hotel du Nord", which stopped some celebrities such as American writer Henry Melville. In 1863, the year the Palace was bought by the family of PIO di Savoia, and divided it between several owners. In 1961, the year the building was renovated, today it is in private ownership.

As mentioned above, the Palazzo Bartolini Salimbeni became the first Palace of Florence, built in the style of the Roman High Renaissance. New for that time was a portal with columns at the sides, the use of pilasters, rectangular Windows with triangular pediments and stone corners. This unusual design initially caused a wave of criticism in the city, but some time later was recognized as "aristocratic in the details." In response to criticism of the architect Baccio d Angolo made over the door a Latin inscription, which translated reads: "it is easier to Criticize than to repeat". Another inscription reads "Petnondormire", which translated from Italian means "No sleep" is the motto of the family Salimbeni, repeated also in the family coats of arms on the frieze of the second floor. The Central courtyard of the Palazzo is made in classic style and feature a covered gallery on three sides, with columns and round arches. The first and second floors of the Palace are decorated with monochrome decorations. On the second floor is also visible loggia with coffered ceilings, topped by another, smaller in size, have a loggia.