/ / Palazzo Biscari: a photo, a description (Palazzo Biscari)

Palazzo Biscari: a photo, a description (Palazzo Biscari)

Palazzo Biscari is a private residence in Catania, was erected for the Dukes of the genus Biscari paternò Castello. The construction of the Palace began in the late 17th century after a devastating earthquake in 1693 and lasted for almost a century. The Palazzo was erected directly opposite the city walls (the so-called Wall of Charles V), partly escaped during the earthquake.

The oldest part of the Palace, which had been worked by the architect Alonzo Di Benedetto was built on the orders of Ignacio, the third Duke of Biscari. Ignazio's son, Vincenzo, commissioned the decoration of the seven large Windows facing the sea, the sculptor from Messina Antonio Amato. Later the Palazzo was rebuilt by the order of the fourth Duke of Biscari, Ignazio paternò Castello, who expanded it to the East. On the renovation project architects worked Palazzotto Giuseppe and Francesco Battaglia. The final completion of the construction of the Palace and its inauguration took place in 1763.

To get inside, passing through a large portal facing via Museo Biscari. The portal leads into the inner courtyard, where is located the impressive double staircase. Main hall - the Hall of the Celebrations - in the Rococo style and decorated with mirrors, stucco and frescoes by Matteo Desiderato and Sebastiano Lo Monaco. A small dome painted with frescoes praising the greatness of the family of paternò Castello di Biscari. The main hall is a staircase, decorated with stucco and is located in the portico facing the sea.

From other rooms of the Palazzo is to provide a so-called Room of the Feudal Lord, places which serve as canvases depicting subjects Biscari, and Apartments of the Princess, built on the orders of Ignacio V to his wife. The floor of this room is made of marble from ancient Roman villas. Worth mentioning is also the Avian Gallery and the Room of don Quixote.

The Palace is a Museum, which once stored the collection of works of art collected by Ignazio V and now in the Museum of the Castello Ursino.