/ / Palazzo Braschi: photos, description (Palazzo Braschi)

Palazzo Braschi: photos, description (Palazzo Braschi)

The Palazzo Braschi, a neoclassical Palace in Rome, located between Piazza Navona, Piazza di Pasquino, Campo dei Fiori and Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. Today in its walls opened Roman Museum, covering the history of the city from Medieval times until the 19th century.

The Palazzo was built by order of the nephew of Pope Pius VI, Duke Luigi Braschi Onesti by the architect Cosimo Morelli. For this purpose, purchased in 1790, the year the land was demolished Palace of the 16th century Giuliano da Sangallo the Younger, Francesco Orsini. The construction of Palazzo Braschi was suspended in 1798, the year during the occupation of Rome by the troops of Napoleon, when the French occupied the city until 1802, the year. Then have Braschi was confiscated recently acquired collection of antiquities, although he received some compensation. In 1809, the year of Luigi Braschi drove to his new Palace, and Napoleon declared him mayor.

After the death of the Duke in 1816, the year the Palazzo was left unfinished, because the family funds were spent. Later the Palace was sold to the Italian state, which has placed in the Ministry of internal Affairs. In the years of the fascist regime in the Palazzo was the political headquarters of Benito Mussolini. After the war, its walls have shelter for 300 families of refugees. Alas, it was then that the ancient frescoes that adorned the walls of the Palace were destroyed due to the fact that refugees, people burned fires inside the building. Extensive restoration work in Palazzo Braschi was conducted from 1949 through 1952-th years, after which there was opened Roman Museum.

The main entrance to the Palazzo is on via San Pantaleo, which is also facing the window of the oval hall of the lobby. From the lobby by a monumental staircase with 18 columns of red granite, brought from the gallery of the Emperor Caligula, you can get to the top. The staircase also decorated with ancient sculptures and wonderful moldings Luigi Acquisti. On the first floor is a small chapel, designed by the architect of the neo-classical period by Giuseppe Valadier.