/ / Palazzo Bianco: photos, description (Palazzo Bianco)

Palazzo Bianco: photos, description (Palazzo Bianco)

Palazzo Bianco - White Palace is one of the main buildings in the historic centre of Genoa. It is located on via Garibaldi, 11, formerly called Strada Nuova (new road). Inside the Palazzo houses an art gallery - one of the best in the city, and the Palace together with the adjacent Palazzo Rosso and Palazzo Doria Tursi is part of the so-called "Museum cluster" occupying the end of via Garibaldi.

Luxury building of the Palace was built between 1530 and 1540 years for Luca Grimaldi, a member of one of the most powerful families of Genoa. In 1658 the Palace passed into the possession of the family De Franchi, and in 1711 Federico De Franchi, the heir of a noble family, gave it to Maria Durazzo Brignole-Sale, his main creditor. The new owners in the years 1714-1716 conducted a large-scale reconstruction of the Palace, rebuilding it in accordance with the fashion of the time. It was then that it got its name - the White Palace - the color of the decorations of the facade. Another restoration of the structure took place after the Second World war.

In 1889, Maria Brignole-Sale, Duchess of Galliera, the last member of an influential family, bequeathed the Palazzo to the people of Genoa, thus, foreshadowing his transformation in the public gallery. In this collection for a future gallery began to gather before the event - the first exhibits were acquired in 1887.

Today in the gallery of Palazzo Bianco you can see the works of European artists ages 12-17, first and foremost creations of craftsmen from Genoa, Flanders, France and Spain. Art 13-16th centuries are represented by paintings by Barnaba da Modena, Ludovico Brea and Luca Cambiaso. A special place in the collections of the gallery are works by Paolo Veronese and Filippino Lippi. Dutch and Flemish painters of the 16th-18th century is represented by Rubens (Venus and Mars) and van dyke ("Virtamo and Pomona). Spanish artists were selected Zurbaran, Murillo and Ribeira. Finally, the gallery also displays sculptures and murals, collected in various museums in Europe.