/ / Palazzo Valentini: photos, description (Palazzo Valentini)

Palazzo Valentini: photos, description (Palazzo Valentini)

Palazzo Valentini Palace in Rome near Piazza Venezia. From 1873, the year belongs to the city administration.

The Palazzo was built by order of cardinal Michele Bonelli, nephew of Pope Pius V, who in 1585 purchased from Giacomo Boncompagni Palace, which stood on the Piazza dei Santi Apostoli. Today Palazzo Valentini is separated from the square by via Quattro Novembre. The cardinal also was the owner of extensive land in the Palazzo, which once housed the forums of Trajan and Augustus. In those years, this land is undergoing development and urbanization - that's when the district was established by the Alessandrino (cardinal came from the province of Alessandria). In the 1920-1930-ies of the quarter was destroyed when the creating street of via dei Fori Imperiali.

Trapezitinae form Palazzo Valentini was designed by architect Domenico Paganelli and built in just three years, thanks to the impressive investment on the part of the cardinal. In the 17th century, the building has undergone a number of modifications and extensions, and even it was partially destroyed and rebuilt by the architect Francesco Peparelli for the new owner, cardinal Renato Imperiali, which marked the beginning of a library of 24 thousand volumes. In the early 18th century in the building for some time worked for a private theatre, in which featured prominent musicians - Handel, Alessandro Scarlatti, Arcangelo Corelli and others.

In 1827, the Palazzo was acquired by the Prussian banker Vincenzo Valentini, whose name the building bears today. The Palace was again enlarged and renovated, and its new owner has posted here his collection of paintings and an archaeological collection (not to mention an impressive library). Today in Palazzo Valentini, you can see the statue of Odysseus work Hugo Attardi and Aeneas and Anchise" and "Europe" Sandro Chia.

During recent excavations under the Foundation of Palazzo was discovered a small thermal complex, probably formerly part of the big thermal baths, found in the early 20th century during the construction of the nearby Palazzo della Assicurazioni di Venezia. The Thermae opened for inspection.