/ / Palazzo Gondi: photos, description (Palazzo Gondi)

Palazzo Gondi: photos, description (Palazzo Gondi)

Palazzo Gondi Palace in Florence, located a block from the Piazza della Signoria. Built in the late 15th century by the architect Giuliano da Sangallo, inspired by the main buildings of the city such as Palazzo Medici and Palazzo Strozzi. Among the borrowed elements - the cubic form of the Central courtyard, lined with stone bevels on all three floors, arched Windows, etc. However, Sangallo was able to slightly modify the use of these elements, making the Palazzo Gondi, one of the most successful buildings of Florence of his time.

The construction of the Palace was very long, often interrupted, and for several centuries, the building remained unfinished. At the end of the 17th century Antonio Maria Ferri worked on the project of the Palace, and Matteo Bonechi engaged in painting of interiors. The Palazzo belonged to an old house belonging to the family of Asini and demolished in 1870, the year to expand the road leading to the Palazzo Vecchio. For the occasion Palazzo Gondi was expanded, for which the left side was built another door. The building, an extension was made that increased the number of Windows on the facade. The residential part on the South side was designed by Giuseppe Poggi, the architect who worked on the Piazzale Michelangelo, but in 1874, the year it was demolished. Today the Palazzo Gondi still belongs to the descendants of the ancient Florentine family, but on the ground floor a bar and a few offices. Legend has it that in one of the houses on the site of the Palace he lived, Leonardo da Vinci, who here wrote his famous painting "Mona Lisa".

In the centre courtyard surrounded by covered gallery with Corinthian columns, stands a fountain of the 17th century, the water comes from the Boboli Gardens (they supply water to the Fontana del Nettuno). A monumental staircase leads from here to the upper floors of the Palazzo. Among the decorations of the interiors it is worth noting the frescoes and some paintings by Italian and French artists. On the second floor there is a large fireplace, built by Sangallo.